Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about sidearm for grizzly country >

Question about sidearm for grizzly country

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about sidearm for grizzly country

Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Question about sidearm for grizzly country

The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull. In fact, I've been eyeing one at a local gun dealer, RLY Ent. here in Cheyenne. Attractive price too at $699.00! Retail is around $1,000.00
Go to http://www.rlyguns.com/id22.htm

Unfluted cylinder, Hogue Monogrip, adjustable sights.
More than enough firepower in a concealable lightweight package!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM

I'm a fishing guide in Alaska and for the past two years I've been carrying a wheelgun for personal protection. These are coastal browns and the biggest in the world. In the later part of the season we often can't go down the bluff to the boats because there's a big old sow with two cubs who likes to chew on our fish boxes and dive under the docks for carcasses. You will see a bear on every single bank in every turn of the river guarenteed when sockeye are in full swing.

that said, I carry a 5" Taurus Raging Bull in .454Casull and wouldn't settle for a .44mag. It sounds like a lot to say the .44mag is "weak", but take a look at some ballistics for the two. Odds are if one of those big Alaskan browns decided he was sick of looking at me I'd only get one, maybe two shots off once the revolver comes out from under the waders and out of the verticle shoulder holster. Wouldn't you rather those shots be a 360gr .454 Penetrator at 1500fps instead of a 260gr .44 flatnose at 1250? I know my life is worth the extra 100gr and 250fps and I won't let anyone else convince me otherwise.
On top of my Alaskan experience, I have the pleasure of volunteering at the Washington State University Grizzly research facility - the only facility in the world actively studying over 10 brown bears. I love playing with and handling everywhere from full grown bears to year old cubs, and when you get that close to such an animal you can appreciate their strength and natural armor. Take a look at the penetration of factory .454 rounds. I know browns have tremendous plate-like skulls, and i imagine a healthy mix of penetration weight retention and velocity would be needed to crack into those big foreheads.

Take a look at THIS link:
http://www.levergun.com/articles/454_factoryammo.htm

If you're anything like me, you love big bores and i have to say shooting the .454Casull is a blast and not at all intolerable if you use proper big-bore wheelgun mechanics. I'm convinced those people that complain about the beast of a gun hurting them every time they shoot could use a few pointers in technique, so don't be afraid of the caliber. Practice practice practice and you have a better chance of reacting with some degree of composure.

P.S. I know a lot of people poo-poo taurus products, but this is one of the sturdiest, most comfortable wheelguns I've shot and I'll trust my life to it's durability any day. Maybe the big bore illicits a more pressing quality control from taurus than the lower caliber guns people have had negative reviews with? Whatever firearm you chose, be confident with your choice and be safe! have fun with your revolver!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Posted by Deadeye 777
"P.S. I know a lot of people poo-poo taurus products, but this is one of the sturdiest, most comfortable wheelguns I've shot and I'll trust my life to it's durability any day. Maybe the big bore illicits a more pressing quality control from taurus than the lower caliber guns people have had negative reviews with? Whatever firearm you chose, be confident with your choice and be safe! have fun with your revolver!"

I have to say that I have carried and shot a Taurus 9mm semiand a 357mag revolver in the lower 48for the last 5-6 years. So far I haven't had one problem or a single jam or misfire. Like Deadeye777 said, they have been extremely sturdy and dependable.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Get one in chocolate flavor if you can because chances are pretty good the bear will make you eat it. Pistols CAN and have in a few instances killed bears but if I was worried about a serious encounter I'd just get a short rifle. I think people who pack a big pistol to ward off the bears are whistling in the dark and the handgun is more for moral support.

But if you think you just gotta have one, I looked at a pretty neat contestant today. Check out the Taurus "Tracker." You can get it in 4," nice rubber grips and recoil ported barrel. MSRP is $536 but you can likely find it for under $500.

34ozs weight.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Get a heavy one, that way when you empty it into a bear you can beat in the head with the gun while it is chewing on you. Or maybe save a bullet for yourself.

Bears are pretty fast if they want to be, not much is going to stop one if it is fairly close and wants to get to you. You might be better off with bear spray? Maybe you could spray it on yourself so you wouldn't taste as good?

Honestly just messing with you, I have never seen a live bear other than in a zoo. I know I wouldn't trust a pistol to save my life with one though, not from the things I have read and heard.

Paul
Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Man Deadeye777, I don't think you got enough gun with bears that closejust kidding. I have shot a .454 before out of a Ruger SBH and like you said it wasn't that bad. But I would like to have a Hamilton Bowen Custom in say a 475 or 500 Linebaugh, of course you are talking close to $2000. Also something that I think needs to be considered also is the holster. I like Simply Rugged holster from Rob Leahry who lives up there in Alaska also. They hold the gun in close and tight with no snaps to hold them in the holster. In the heat of the moment I would not want a snap or strap hanging up on me.