Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

ORIGINAL: bltrax

i believe it should depend on the felony. my best bud has a few felonys from his yonger days of doing stupid things non involving a gun. he doesnt do anythingstupid anymore. he loves to hunt but cant own a gun so when he go's hunting he always barrows a gun.

What i dont understand is PA will let him buy a hunting lisence but not buy a gun!? doesnt make sense.
I see no reason why any person shopuld not be able to buy a hunting license. After all, the proceeds go to run the Game Department. Possession of a license does NOT permit an otherwise banned person to possess a firearm. Your "felon buddy" is committing a federal crime by borrowing a gun and carrying it, hunting license or no!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bltrax

i believe it should depend on the felony. my best bud has a few felonys from his yonger days of doing stupid things non involving a gun. he doesnt do anythingstupid anymore. he loves to hunt but cant own a gun so when he go's hunting he always barrows a gun.

What i dont understand is PA will let him buy a hunting lisence but not buy a gun!? doesnt make sense.

bltrax, Sounds like you buddy is a slow learner....."he doesn't do anything stupid anymore"........yeah thats a good one. Borrowing a gun being a felon? Define stupid for us.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 AM

I used to work construction around a guy that in his younger years(18) robbed a couple of banks, got caught,did his time in a federal prison inTX, got out and became a sheet metal worker.
Hesaid they could send him back forpossesing anail shooter (for concrete)that uses charges, orif he had one of those little chargesin his possesion.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

bltrax, Sounds like you buddy is a slow learner....."he doesn't do anything stupid anymore"........yeah thats a good one. Borrowing a gun being a felon? Define stupid for us.

when i wrote that i didnt relised it was still illegal for him to borrow a gunfor huntingseeing that he could still get a hunting permit. i guess i really didnt know that much about it.i just thought he couldnt buy a gun or own. it didnt dawn on me that a hunting permit could be used for bow and what not. i only gun hunt and dont think to much about the "other" forms of hunting. i guess u could say i had a tard moment.

i just didnt relize thatusing agun with ahunting permitwas as bad as him owning one. i dont have a felony so idont knowthe full"laws or rules"offelonys, just what i hear. but im gonna relay that message next time i see him, maybe he didnt know or care, i dont know, icant make excuses for himbut eather way thats between him and the gun loaner as to what happens. my hands are clean of that situation and i cant control what other people do.
i do still believe thothat gun ownership with felons should still dependon the felony.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read in the paper the last couple days two very interesting felony charges.

The first was a lady in Reno, NV who had some pine trees cut down in front of her house that was blocking her view. The problem was that the trees were on public property. They charged her with theft of government property and defacing government property with enough value that the potential prison time was 10 years.

The second was an 18 year old that was charged with a hate crime for threatning bodily harm for driving by a civil rights gathering dragging a couple of hang nooses behind his pickup. He was originally charged with DUI but the charges were later raised to a felony hate crime.

I'm not sure if either has been convicted yet or not.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM

has to depend on the crime....

obviously people who have commited violent crime and have a violent past should not be allowed to have firearms.
same goes for anyone who has comitted a crime based on a poor state of mental health, or any crime that directly threatens security.

but i see what you are saying about how easy it is to be a felon... just because you cut some trees down doesnt mean your a danger to society if you have a firearm... it just means your a danger with a chain saw
Old 01-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to the story - http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jan23/0,4670,TahoeTreesIndictment,00.html

I was actually a little shy on her potential prison term. She had 3 trees cut down and faces 10 years in prison for EACH tree for a total of 30 years.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 PM

here's where i stand i recieved a felony for buy a stolen atv. I didnt know it was stolen and had no clue what i was getting into now i cant own a gun? how is this my fault
Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: defenbaugh

here's where i stand i recieved a felony for buy a stolen atv. I didnt know it was stolen and had no clue what i was getting into now i cant own a gun? how is this my fault
What are the details behind your case?, did you know the person it came from, esspecialy if he were a known felon. Did you purchace it for a price that was that was way too good a deal(like under a thousand for something worth five thousand)? Did you have a lawyer that was incompetent? Why and what were the reasons they gave you for it being classified a felony? Have you been convicted for anything in the past? Im not trying to be a smartbut! just trying to understand the circumstances!.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Simple awnser. NO

Quick Reply: Should Felons own Firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.