Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

ORIGINAL: devil dog

Definition of a firearm; any weapon "includeing a starter gun" which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to except a projectile by the action of a explosive. So your answer is no, a felon cant own or have in possesiona muzzle loader by definition, he cant even own or posses abullit proof vest, if he wants to hunt, the only thing he can use is a bow.
Several, if not the majority of states allow the use of mz's by anyone.
Someone intent on commting a new felony with a firearm will probably not choose a mz as their preffered weapon.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I also think that most convicted felons who are going to repeat a violent offense could easily get a gun illegally."

When I worked in the Probation Department of Madison County, NY, one could go into Syracuse and buy really NICE quality pistols & revolvers from black market dealers on the streets for HALF what the same gun would cost you in a gun shop! Now, they may have been used in previous crimes, or stolen, but they were available to any thug who knew who to contact.....

ONLY the law abiding abide by the law! For some reason this little bit of logic seems to escape the anti-gun folks!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM

I know a number of people who havehad felony DUI's. I used to hang with them, not bad people, they just drank too much after work, or on weekends, and got caught driving. Obviously more than once.
I used to hunt with them, on the yearly pheasant opener.
I was always worried about what could happen if a game warden checked their licenses, if they could get 5 years in prison forpossessing agun.
They got their drivers license back, why not let them hunt pheasants?
They won't drink while hunting. (afterthe daily hunting is a different story)
I wish I could say the same about their drinking and driving.
Are shotgun's also prohibited for felon's?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

As far as BATFE is concearned, anything you can put a projectile in, anything that operates from an explosion is a firearm or an explosive device, a felon cant have in posession, this definition is right out of the Federal Firearms Regulations!. I also dont think much more time will pass befor you have to run a background check on muzzle loaders, because of the way they are being made today.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I thought I read on a Indiana Hunting website, that since muzzleloaders are considered primative weapons felons in our state can hunt with them?? I could be way wrong on this but I think a Conservation Officer replied to a post about this. I will do some more checking.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: opieone

I know a number of people who havehad felony DUI's. I used to hang with them, not bad people, they just drank too much after work, or on weekends, and got caught driving. Obviously more than once.
I used to hunt with them, on the yearly pheasant opener.
I was always worried about what could happen if a game warden checked their licenses, if they could get 5 years in prison forpossessing agun.
They got their drivers license back, why not let them hunt pheasants?
They won't drink while hunting. (afterthe daily hunting is a different story)
I wish I could say the same about their drinking and driving.
Are shotgun's also prohibited for felon's?
This kind of behavior on the highwayskills thousands of innocent people every year in the United States. To me they sound like very bad people. Just because theserecidivists got their rights back to use one potentially deadly weapon, an automobile, it is hardly a reason to give them access to another deadly weapon, a firearm.

Caldoc
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like stated earlier, it should be on a case by case evaluation. I know a fella that got a felony for drugs when he was very young and he is only able to run dogs.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Encorepete

Now...would you care to debate marijuana legalization?? or Less Filling Vs. Tastes Great! or Tom BradyV. Joe Montana V. Terry Bradshaw? Ford V.Chevy? Crown Vics V. Charger V. Impala Police Cars, or Revolver V. Semi, or Glock V. Smith, etc???

Legalize it - tastes great - joe montana - chevy - charger - revolver - smith.

any more?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM

I would like to point out that I did not say it would be legal for a felon to own or hunt with a muzzle loader, simply that in my state there is no background check on them so they could just walk into any gun or retail store and buy one. Doesn't mean they are allowed, simply that the store is not required to check before selling it.

Paul
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...I suppose that if the felony in question was COMPLETELY non-violent in nature (i.e. nobody got hurt OR COULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT as a result of the crime, which includes the dumb a$$s who get a felony rap for multiple DUI's), and there was a sufficient probationary time built into the statute concerning such a restoration of gun rights. I would support something such as a 10 year period after the completion of incarceration where a person had to be crime-free (excepting minor traffic violations) which would serve to prove that the individual in question had gained the good judgement, maturity and respect for the rule-of-law necessary to be trusted with a weapon.

I think that's ultimately what the gun prohibition against felons is all about anyway...judgement, maturity and respect for the laws of society and the lack thereof. One simply doesn't "accidently" commit a felony (violent or otherwise). In order to commit a crime as serious as a felony one must make one or more very bad decisions that lead ultimately to the crime in question. Felonies require either intent or a severe and reckless disregard for the law and the safety or property of others, all of which are indicative of poor judgement, maturity and respect for others. That SHOULD disqualify the individual in question from possessing a weapon for at least a long enough period of time for that individual to prove to society that they are once again trustworthy.

Violent criminals, including those whose crime(s) did not cause actual physical harm to others but put others at serious and immediate risk of harm (for example...habitual DUI's, arson, kidnapping, etc...), in my opinion, should lose their right to possess a firearm for LIFE. If the felon in question wanted to be able to enjoy the hunting and shooting sports, they should have thought about that before they decided to commit their crime. Since they didn't, I can't feel sorry for them. If they need a hobby, they could always take up knitting or crafts.

Mike

Quick Reply: Should Felons own Firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.