Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Should Felons own Firearms? >

Should Felons own Firearms?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should Felons own Firearms?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Should Felons own Firearms?

Would you support felons convicted of non-violoent, non-weapon related felonies to be able to own a firearm?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Should Felons own Firearms?

Possibly. They did thier time.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Would you support felons convicted of non-violoent, non-weapon related felonies to be able to own a firearm?
Yes, I would. And at least in New York state, it is possible. Onegoes to his/herlawyer, and has him prepare a Request for a Certificate of Relief From Disabilities. This request is then submitted to the Judge of the Superior Court where the conviction took place. IF the Judge agrees, he can issue the Certificate permitting the person to once again own/possess firearms (rifles/shotguns). I have seen this done a number of times in the county in Upstate NY where I once served as a probation officer. It was done for nonviolent felons who wanted to start hunting again.

We asked the Feds if this was legal. They could not or would not take a position on the question. But to the best of my knowledge, no former felon who went through this process ever had any problems about owning a rifle or shotgunafter the Certificate was issued.....
Old 01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would probably have to be on a case-by-case basis.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

We asked the Feds if this was legal. They could not or would not take a position on the question. But to the best of my knowledge, no former felon who went through this process ever had any problems about owning a rifle or shotgun after the Certificate was issued.....
Their name will still pop up when the shop does a background check. Once they get the certificate, they can own a firearm, but then buying one becomes a problem.

Kind of leaves them stuck with buying from individuals, but then that shouldn't be a problem for a convicted felon.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PAhunter86

It would probably have to be on a case-by-case basis.
Ditto! I havea co-worker that did his time for drug dealing when he was 18. I wouldn't mind seeing him get his huntingrights back. Everyday we are talking about hunting, he gets kind of down. He's talking to a lawyer to try and get his rights reinstated.

I think everyone should have the right to protect their family, but if you did something to stupid then those rights have to be taken away.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I beleive if you commit any crime were others are victems you should never be able to own a firearm period!!!. It is to easy to keep yourself out of trouble, that is one of the main things wrong with society today, no-one wants to be responsible for their own actions, too many parents want to ignore this fact!. I think back when I was a child "the 60s" in Pittsbergh Pa., we could leave our windows and doors open a night, never had to worry about locking up the car, when going to the store being able to go to the toys by myself!. Those days are long gone because of the BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS makeing it easy for the bad guys!, cable tv, workout area's, early out's, we need to get back to some of the old ways, I remember work crews from the prisons accualy haveing to cut grass with cycles, today they use lawn mowers, weed eaters, and Ive seen some on lawn tractors, I say put them back in stripes, connect them with chains, and make them work the way they use too, learn some HUMILITY!!!!!. Well I know thats never going to happen again, so Ill take comfort in knowing that it damn near takes an act of congress to get the right to own firearms back. Now you might think Im an A##hole for thinking this, but after 45 years, I still have the right to keep and bear arms, just like a drivers license, its a privilege, not a God given right!!!. Thats my view!!!.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Thousands of felons out there already own firearms.

You mean LEGALLY?

I lean towards no. Too much of our legal system already bends over backwards to accomodate the criminal eliment. We would be much better off to stand by the legal deterents like doing time, restrictions like no legal guns or votingfor convicted felons, etc.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Though there are a number of reasonable arguments supporting the right of a felon to own a firearm, I'm afraid I have to side here with devil dog. I don't buy that there are "victimless" crimes, though. Even white-collar crime has "victims", whether they be shareholders or taxpayers.

Once a person determines that it's in their best interest to violate the laws of the land and the rights of others, their judgement becomes suspect - permanently (IMO).Even after incarceration, I'm not sure I'd go along with their having the same rights again as those people whose rights they violated. Felons are, again IMO, "second-class citizens" of theirOWNdoing, and undeserving of the very rights they thumbed their noses at.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Maybe.
Felons in NE can't hunt with a muzzleloader; I think that should be changed if they're non-violent.

Quick Reply: Should Felons own Firearms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.