Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 MUZZLE BRAKE ????'s >

MUZZLE BRAKE ????'s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MUZZLE BRAKE ????'s

Old 06-11-2017, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Whew I was told it is a Muzzle break not a muzzle brake.

Al
Old 06-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I typically write it as "brake" because a brake is an object which slows velocity, and the muzzle brake slows the recoil velocity of the rifle by redirecting (and slowing) the propellant gases. A "brake" is a primarily a noun, and is only a verb when describing the action of slowing down, "I braked when I saw the deer run in front of my car."

"Break," alternatively, is typically a verb, as in "to break something," as in "break action shotgun," which breaks, or hinges. When used as a noun, "break" typically describes the location of a verb form break having happened - as in "how did you break your arm?" and, "where is the break in your arm?"

So to me, it's a "brake," which slows the recoil velocity of the rifle, and since it is attached to the muzzle, it follows to be called a muzzle brake.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

broke is the past term for break, so after you shoot is your muzzle broke? just wondered.
RR
Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The short version: Suppressors significantly cut actual recoil, not just noise. Can't do one without the other - noise is reduced by reducing the velocity of the propellant gases as they release from the rifle and slowing those gases reduces their contribution to recoil.

The long version for those interested: A suppressor "quiets" the muzzle blast by slowing down propellant gases, which also reduces recoil. Brakes and suppressors reduce recoil differently: Brakes redirect the gases, which actually creates a partial forward force as the gases slam into the front edges of the ports and are redirected at high velocity. Suppressors expose the escaping gases to a tortuous path, slowing ("letting down") the gases to reduce the muzzle blast as they reach atmospheric

Most guys never consider how much our charge weight contributes to recoil, but it's relatively substantial. For those not familiar with the formula for recoil velocity calculation:

Recoil Velocity = [(mass of bullet x velocity of bullet) + (mass of charge x velocity of gases)] / mass of rifle

*For those keeping track, this is nothing more than the law of conservation of momentum, solved for velocity of the rifle.

For a conventional bottleneck cartridge, SAAMI lists the STANDARD for unsuppressed propellant gas velocity is 1.75 times greater than that of the bullet. So in a 30-06, running a 150grn bullet at 2950fps over 50grns of powder, if you consider how much recoil velocity comes from the bullet and how much comes from the powder (converting grains to pounds mass to scale the numerical results, otherwise not worrying about weight vs. mass):

Bullet momentum = 150grn x 2950fps / 7000grn/lbm = 63.2 lbmft/sec

Prop Gas momentum: 50 x 1.75 x 2950 / 7000 = 36.9 lbmft/sec

Total = 36.9 + 63.2 = 100.1 on the rifle.

So a touch over 35% of a rifles recoil is from the gases (in this case). Slow those gases down to 75% of the bullet speed instead of 175% and you reduce total recoil by 21%.

Another way of looking at it - because the propellant gases are traveling faster than the bullet, even though they are only 50grns, act as if they were an extra 87grns of bullet weight. We're all familiar with what shooting more bullet weight at the same velocity means in terms of increased recoil. By slowing the gases down to 75%, those 50grns only act like 37.5grn of bullet - a 50grn swing compared to the unsuppressed contribution. So comparing a suppressed vs. non suppressed 30-06 is VERY similar to comparing that 150grn 30-06 to a 100grn .243win.

Not to mention - you're adding usually 3/4 - 1 lb of rifle weight by adding a suppressor, which slows recoil velocity by another ~10%, AND positioning it at the muzzle helps reduce muzzle rise as well.
he's doing it again, clogging my brain with stuff I already knew but don't understand when he explains it cause he uses big words!
the guy is smart, just talks in some foreign language
RR
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Spike

maybe I can get some feedback today under a floor of a old house I found 2 shotgun shells been fired say usc co nu 12 Lowell looks like whole cart is all brass
Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

vais brakes claims no icnrease in noise