Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best long range caliber >

best long range caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best long range caliber

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: best long range caliber

For 600yd shots I'd strongly consider any thing in the 30cal magnum family: 300Win Mag, 300WBY Mag, 300RUM, 300WSM, etc...

You will also HAVE TO BUY an extremely high quality scope and it MUST have some sort ofbullet drop compensatorbecause if you don't and you sight it in to hit at that long of a distance you will never be able to make a shot at say 200yds and underbecause you will be shooting way over your target. It will also need to be parallax adjustable.

You willneed to start recording the ballistics of each round you shoot and create a "cheat sheet" of sort showing the scope adjustments needed for eachround at each distance asall will have a slightlydifferent trajectory. As you probably know a 150gr bullet will have avastly different trajectory as say a 170 or 220gr bullet. Even the same weight round from different manufacturers will have different trajectories. I hope you like to shoot at the range because you're gonna be there for a while.

When you start to shoot over 500yds is when quality scopes really show their worth. Start saving now because your gonna spend way more for the scope than you will for the rifle. I suspect the whole rig is gonna run you somewhere in the area of a decent used 4x4.

It would be much easier (and cheaper) to just get closer to what you're hunting eh?

I'm not trying to come down on you, just making sure you understand what's going to be needed to build a true long range rifle. Good luck with the project and be sure to post pictures when you get it all together.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Anyone can shoot at 200 yards with a scoped rifle, it takes a marksman to hit at 600 and up.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

For example, IF you took that .338 Lapuafiring a .338", 250-grain bullet of high B.C. at 3000 FPS MV and zeroed it dead on at 600 yards, it would drop 22 inches at 700 yards, 51" at 800, and be 137 inches low at 1000 yards-from a 600 yard, dead-on zero! Not only that, it would be 23" HIGH at 300 yards, and 14" high at 500 yards-enough for a serious overshoot at the shorter ranges. So much for "flat trajectory"!!

That really puts in perspective.
are there range finders accurate out to a 1000 yds ?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

I just threw elk in there. I have never hunted elk, but I have family in colorado and hope to eventually. If I were t hunt elk today I would be using my remington 700 in .30-06. For me that would be good enough for 250 yard shots, maybe more. Elk was just a thought, more like antelope and deer, also possibly coyotes. But I would not want to save any pelts or anything. So damaging the pelts would not be a concern
If elk is totally out of the question, then there is no need to do a big magnum .

I have a .243 AI getting built that will be set up for deer to about 500 and yotes to 700 or so, maybe farther. It will be shooting 105gr Berger . I'm also getting my 7mm Rem Mag set up, I've been trying the Bergers with not much luck, so I am going to try the 140gr Accubonds next. Whatever you pick, just make sure you get a good bullet for it.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely!! Some moron makes a TV tape about shooting deer, etc., at some pie-in-the-sky distance and soon all the other turkeys think it's a good idea, and something they can do as well. Well, it ain't!! As you say, most will never even SEE a deer at 600 yards, and if they do, they won't have any idea how far it is or where their bullet is going to be when it arrives! At such ranges, even the flattest shooting round you can fire will need to have range judged accurately to within 10-15 yards! Otherwise the bullet will go high or low. This does not take into account wind drift, which is formidable at such distances.
This line is a joke right????????
The underlined comment is a joke right???????

I would agree that most people out there cannot shoot at these distances. That doesn't mean it is IMPOSSIBLE like you make it sound.

BTW my vote is for the 30-378 Weatherby just cuz I have done it with that gun. Hit right where I was aiming. Must have been really lucky and really lucky when I was practicing at that range with about 200 rounds.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree that most people out there cannot shoot at these distances. That doesn't mean it is IMPOSSIBLE like you make it sound.

BTW my vote is for the 30-378 Weatherby just cuz I have done it with that gun. Hit right where I was aiming. Must have been really lucky and really lucky when I was practicing at that range with about 200 rounds.
As you said a couple ofhundred rounds of practice. Iwould not call you lucky, I would call you prepared. But I am sure you spent alot of time and money to be able to do this. And I would bet that there isn't a $100 scope on the baby. Tom.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

After pouring over all my Ballistics and my general dislike for super mags and long action calibers. I would go with the 270 WSM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haugenna

Absolutely!! Some moron makes a TV tape about shooting deer, etc., at some pie-in-the-sky distance and soon all the other turkeys think it's a good idea, and something they can do as well. Well, it ain't!! As you say, most will never even SEE a deer at 600 yards, and if they do, they won't have any idea how far it is or where their bullet is going to be when it arrives! At such ranges, even the flattest shooting round you can fire will need to have range judged accurately to within 10-15 yards! Otherwise the bullet will go high or low. This does not take into account wind drift, which is formidable at such distances.

Your statement surely is the joke. Guessing those kind of distances with the naked eye would be just that, guessing. Different terrains, shadows from clouds, trees, mountains and a ton of other things would make it next to impossible to guess those kind of ranges. You would need a range finder and the time to range the animal. I know there are guys out there have spent the dough, and the time, and have became very good at those ranges, and my hats off to them. But spending one day at the range and shooting a couple hundred rounds would hardly make someone an expert!

Only 200 rounds of practice andmost people would miss at 600,575,or 625 yards more thanthey would make it!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

ORIGINAL: haugenna

Your statement surely is the joke. Guessing those kind of distances with the naked eye would be just that, guessing. Different terrains, shadows from clouds, trees, mountains and a ton of other things would make it next to impossible to guess those kind of ranges. You would need a range finder and the time to range the animal. I know there are guys out there have spent the dough, and the time, and have became very good at those ranges, and my hats off to them. But spending one day at the range and shooting a couple hundred rounds would hardly make someone an expert!

Only 200 rounds of practice andI don't care who you are you'd miss at 600,575,or 625 yards more than you would make it!
Its called a rangefinder! Nobody shooting those distances is going to be guessing at the range. I use to think that people shouldn't attempt long range shots on animals, but 600 really isn't that far. Good equipment and practice and its actually not that hard. I can't wait until I get everything dialed in.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

For example, IF you took that .338 Lapuafiring a .338", 250-grain bullet of high B.C. at 3000 FPS MV and zeroed it dead on at 600 yards, it would drop 22 inches at 700 yards, 51" at 800, and be 137 inches low at 1000 yards-from a 600 yard, dead-on zero! Not only that, it would be 23" HIGH at 300 yards, and 14" high at 500 yards-enough for a serious overshoot at the shorter ranges. So much for "flat trajectory"!!

That really puts in perspective.
are there range finders accurate out to a 1000 yds ?
Leica has one, Swarovski has one, there are a few others...

Quick Reply: best long range caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.