HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Federal Fusions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/226491-federal-fusions.html)

.243win 01-09-2008 07:56 PM

Federal Fusions

saw there expansene(spelling) on TV and am completly schocked by what i saw so im thinking about maybe shootin all my coreloks up so i have an excuses to buy some but what are your thoughts on them

they would be used on deer

there for a .243

have to be like 95 or 100 grain or i was shoot um

.243win

okgobbler 01-09-2008 09:38 PM

RE: Federal Fusions

I shoot the 165gr fusions in my .308. I am very pleased. Last year I shot a buck from 16 yds with incredible expansion. The chest cavity looked like a bowl of melted jello. bang, flop. By the way, the .308 with fusions is my only rifle, I don't reload for.

I really like the 100 gr sierra gamekings in my .243 for deer.

TPhunter 01-10-2008 07:27 AM

I tried them last yearinmy .270 wsm and lost 2 deerdue to the lack of expansion...Those bullets were just popping right through the deer...Both hit behind the front shoulder angling forward slightly...No blood trails to speak of either...I switched ammo and every deer has dropped since...Stay away from the Fusions and stay with the Core-Lokts...Much better bullet.

ipscshooter 01-10-2008 09:40 AM

Just curious... If you lost the deer, how do you KNOW you hit them "behind the shoulder angling forward slightly", and how do you KNOW there was no expansion? Even with no expansion, deer hit as you've described will have .277 caliber holes through both lungs, and likely would expire within 100 yards.

zrexpilot 01-10-2008 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Just curious... If you lost the deer, how do you KNOW you hit them "behind the shoulder angling forward slightly", and how do you KNOW there was no expansion? Even with no expansion, deer hit as you've described will have .277 caliber holes through both lungs, and likely would expire within 100 yards.
Yep, you cannot put a bullet through a deers cavity and him not expire. Just the hole through the diaphram will kill. Once the diaphram is punctured a deer cant breath.
Most deer that are lost are just not found, the deer is dead and laying somewhere, you just have to find him.

New York Hunter 01-10-2008 10:56 AM

My friend shot a nice 8 point that dressed out just over 200 pounds with him 30-06 using 165 gr. Federal Fusion ammo. The deer was walking away from his stand. He shot it inthe back of the ribs, pretty far back. The bullet went through a lung and stopped in the neck. It went through about two feet of deer back to frontbefore stopping. He showed use the recovered bullet.The expansion was perfect. We didn't mic it, but I'd be willing to bet (and I don't bet) that it expanded to .650" or so. It was more then double,you could tell by looking at it. I was very impressed to say the least. [/align]

trailer 01-10-2008 11:16 AM

I shot my buck this past season with 140 gr. Fusion at 60 yards with my 7 mm-08. I dropped him where he stood. Complete pass thru. This buck must have field dressed around the 250 lbs. I was very pleased with the Fusion this year...

oldelkhunter 01-10-2008 11:27 AM

All I can say is they are pretty darn accurate in any rifle I have shot them in. Have not had a chance to use them on deer.

I tried them last yearinmy .270 wsm and lost 2 deerdue to the lack of expansion...Those bullets were just popping right through the deer...Both hit behind the front shoulder angling forward slightly...No blood trails to speak of either...I switched ammo and every deer has dropped since...Stay away from the Fusions and stay with the Core-Lokts...Much better bullet.

I hit a 160 lb buck with a powerpoint out of a 7 wsm 150 gr powerpoint at about 30 yards and the deer acted unhurt. Tiny bit of blood and after a 1/4 mile walk found him ..his internals were shredded . I killed a doe last year(120 lbs) at 60 yds with a 270 WSM (130 grain ballistic tip) and she was DRT. I would imagine the fusion would ball up and have less bullet shank then an TSX or other controlled expansion bullets but it would unleash a lot of shock to the internal organs..Those deer died if you hit them where you said you did. You might have also hit them below the spine and not really nailed any vital organs which would explain the small or non existent blood trail.

.243win 01-10-2008 12:10 PM

thanks for the input might have to try them if the price is right(under 20$)

okgobbler i dont reload so that bullet is of no help but ive heard great things about themthanks anyways

.243win

H80Hunter 01-10-2008 12:31 PM

Federal loads the Sierra Game King BTSP 100 grain for the .243 Win.