HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   what kind of gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/226425-what-kind-gun.html)

shaggy1224 01-09-2008 12:11 PM

what kind of gun?

i recently purchased several guns from my wifes grandmother. m-1 .30 cal carbine, stevens 410 and what she said was a 22-250. the gun has no info stamped on it any where as far as caliber or make. a guy i work with said it looks like a mauser action. it has y803 stamped on the side of the action. any help would be appreciated.

Pawildman 01-09-2008 12:44 PM

RE: what kind of gun?

I guess if I were in your situation, I'd take it to a competent gunsmith for an evaluation. He should be able to tell you what you have and what he feels about the quality of the piece. You probably can get a good idea of caliber just by looking at the bore, but as far as to what it's chambered for, best get some professional help, IMO. Funny, most 'smiths stamp the barrel as to what it's chambered for when rebarreling, if indeed that's really what you have.

shaggy1224 01-10-2008 11:40 AM

from what i understand it was made by her grandpa. looks like he bought the stock, barrel and action and put it all together. it is a very nice looking stock and the metal was taken care of. no rust to be seen.

anybody know a good gunsmith in central wisconsin?

Pavomesa 01-10-2008 01:41 PM

For sure take Pawildman's advice and take it to GS. Guessing at the condition and caliber of rifle is dangerous sport.

CommonSense 01-10-2008 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

For sure take Pawildman's advice and take it to GS. Guessing at the condition and caliber of rifle is dangerous sport.
Boy, that was a very informative post!

Shaggy, please, take the gun to a gunsmith, and have it checked out.

Pavomesa 01-10-2008 02:59 PM

Didn't I just say that, CS? Appreciate you backing me up, however.:D

hartshot101 01-15-2008 08:23 AM

YEah u you should take it to a gunsmith they can gauge the barrel or cast a dummy round to the bore size to tell u the exact caliber. But hold onto the gun,mauser actions are some of the most reliable actions ever made, and the safety on them is amazing.

bigbulls 01-15-2008 09:31 AM

Before you take it to a gunsmith remove the stock and look at the underside of the barrel. Many times the gunsmith that made the rifle will stamp the cartridge it is chambered for on the bottom of the barrel so it is not asthetically displeasing to the customer.

shaggy1224 01-15-2008 11:50 AM

thanx guys i am searching for a gunsmith right now. i would really like to get this gun rolling. would be a good one for the kids to shoot. especially since it was my wifes grandpas gun she would get a kick out watching the kids shoot it.

matters 01-15-2008 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Before you take it to a gunsmith remove the stock and look at the underside of the barrel. Many times the gunsmith that made the rifle will stamp the cartridge it is chambered for on the bottom of the barrel so it is not asthetically displeasing to the customer.
My thoughts exactly. I used to work in a gun shop and we had a few come in like this. As you said many of the had been stamped but were under the stock.