Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Finishing the stock on my hawken? >

Finishing the stock on my hawken?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finishing the stock on my hawken?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finishing the stock on my hawken?

I bought a hawken kit from cabelas and I sanded the stock just how I want it and now need to stain it. Its a walnut stock so I am planning on using a natural stain and heres my question should I polly urathane it or not?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finishing the stock on my hawken?

I wouldn't...I use boiled linseed oil...About 10 coats, rub a little between your fingers and work into the wood, do not use much at a time, this is where most folks mess up...Then let it dry for about 2 days between coats....

I have heard of others using tung oil, but I've always stuck with the more traditional linseed oil treatment.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the linseed oil...you'll love how it turns out.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option is Tung oil. Apply several coats allowing dry time in-between.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I wouldn't...I use boiled linseed oil...About 10 coats, rub a little between your fingers and work into the wood, do not use much at a time, this is where most folks mess up...Then let it dry for about 2 days between coats....

I have heard of others using tung oil, but I've always stuck with the more traditional linseed oil treatment.
This is a good recommendation. I prefer Tru-Oil, because it contains a faster drying agent than boiled linseed, so the job doesn't take as long.

Tung oil will turn white (opaque) if it gets wet.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM

Boiled linseed oil technically never dries, so it has to be reapplied on a regualar basis. It also doesn't seal the wood like some other finishes. It's the correct finish for many military guns, but not the best protective finish.

Tru-Oil is a better protective finish. I also like a good tung oil finish. I never had any problems with a quality brand tung oil finishes turing white when wet. Tru-Oil is really just tung-oil with a few additives.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Polyurethane? No, that crap should never be on a gun.

Try this:

Mix Zinsser shellac with boiled linseed oil, about 50:50, it won't mix well, but mix it until you get an even emulsion. Apply to the wood in very thin coats, just rub it into the stock and let it dry. The shellac is a very good protectant but is very difficult to apply on its own, the BLO lubricates it as well as soaks into the wood fibers for protection.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I havethree T/C Hawkens. One I left as is with the factory finish. The 2 I use for hunting, i removed all the hardware and sanded off the finish. The grain on these 2 are really nice. The only thing I put on them is clear satin polyurethane. I also blackened the brass. The poly really brought out the grain and was easy to apply (sprayed on) - light coats. It gave the stock a nice low luster finish without glare. And the poly protects the wood.
The advantage of using linspeed oil or similar is that a scratch can be easily covered up.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys.I decided I am going to use tru oil. Do I stain the stock and then put tru oil on it or just tru oil?

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

It depends on how dark you want the stock. The Truoil will darken it somewhat. You can check the color inside the barrel channel where no one else can see it first. I'm not sure about this but I would recommend if you are going to stain to get an oil based stain if your are going to use the TruOil.

Quick Reply: Finishing the stock on my hawken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.