Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W 629 44 mag. >

S&W 629 44 mag.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W 629 44 mag.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: S&W 629 44 mag.

ALLLLLRIGHT Mike, Just had to get me in with the .41 mag. It don't get no better.And they try to tell me that the 10 mm is just as powerful.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
usa
Fork Horn

the 629 will handle any load on the market, I've owned the redhawk and if you hunt with a pistol its just too heavy to lug around all day, I can hunt/hike 8-10 miles a day with the S/W and forget its in my shoulder holster but the redhawk was a pain in the butt to carry all day not to mention the harsh trigger pull, the right comparison would be a big lumbering truck and a compact 4x4 sports car
Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
DM

ORIGINAL: usa

the 629 will handle any load on the market, I've owned the redhawk and if you hunt with a pistol its just too heavy to lug around all day, I can hunt/hike 8-10 miles a day with the S/W and forget its in my shoulder holster but the redhawk was a pain in the butt to carry all day not to mention the harsh trigger pull, the right comparison would be a big lumbering truck and a compact 4x4 sports car
I agree...

I've owned several of both, and all the Redhawks are now gone...

I've carried my M-29 all over Alaska, sometimes for weeks on end... I've harvested big game from moose on down, and my M-29 has never let me down.... I've shot it a lot since the 70's when i bouight, and it's one of my all time best purchases!

DM
Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

HeySwampDog,

You know I'm a 41mag man through and through. the 10mm is a good cartridge(no 41) but, it comes in a Desert Eagle and this is one Heavy Semi-auto pistol. They are a pain to carry and you have to have a xxxl hand size to hold the grip with any comfort at all.

Sorry bluffhunter, didn't mean to steel your thread, bud.

Mike
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ill stick with my Taurus .44 Mag 6 inch ported barell. If you take a look at a Taurus and S&W, youll notice the frames are identical on most of the new revolvers. There was a big article in one of the Hand Gun magazine that stated that S&W and Taurus use the same frame now. Its actually aTaurus frame.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Ill stick with my Taurus .44 Mag 6 inch ported barell. If you take a look at a Taurus and S&W, youll notice the frames are identical on most of the new revolvers. There was a big article in one of the Hand Gun magazine that stated that S&W and Taurus use the same frame now. Its actually aTaurus frame.
Horse Puckey. Tom.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Horse Puckey. Tom.
Same size Maybe? not same frame??? []
Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy years ago believed that taurus use melted old car bumpers to make there frames. get the smith.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Site Bouncer

When it comes to pistols I hunt with Rugers, They are built tough and are reliable to a fault. That's what I'm looking for in a hunting pistol.

That being said the S&W is a better quality pistol with a better stock trigger. You will have to spend some money to get a Ruger trigger to feel like a stock S&W.

I'm not so convinced the Smith will handle the loads a Ruger will. Don't get me wrong it will handle some pretty stiff loads but there is no way it will digest the loads a Ruger will on a prolonged basis and not end up with some timing issues down the road. The Rugers you can blast away with anything and never have a problem.