Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W 629 44 mag. >

S&W 629 44 mag.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W 629 44 mag.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM

Default S&W 629 44 mag.

Any opinions on the smith and wesson 629 44 mag 6.5" ported and unported model? Ruger redhawks better?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Default RE: S&W 629 44 mag.

The Redhawk is a good gun, but the 29 is a better made gun in my opinion. It's worlds ahead as far as trigger smoothness. I'm not a fan of the ported guns. The porting does reduce recoil, but it increases muzzle blast. Some ports also tend to get fouled badly if you're shooting hot loaded lead bullets.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the S&W is a far superior product. I have been flamed for saying this before. But I firmly believe it. The S&W will definitely outshoot the Ruger, and definitely has a better trigger. The Ruger will make a better club(I am gonna get it for that one). I like the porting-just make sure you wear your muffs. I have never had a problem with fouling, but I keep the ports cleaned. Try Pipe cleaner's(smoking pipe's). Tom.

P.S.: The clubbing is actually not a joke. The reason S&W went with theheavy barrel and underlug was when police officer's hit a suspect with their pistol(instead of shooting them), the S&W barrels could bend. Sounds silly, but it is true.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 PM
DM

P.S.: The clubbing is actually not a joke. The reason S&W went with theheavy barrel and underlug was when police officer's hit a suspect with their pistol(instead of shooting them), the S&W barrels could bend. Sounds silly, but it is true.
What police department uses or has used 44 magnums for a duty weapon???

I think you've been watching too many Dirty Harry movies... lol

DM
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Both are fine guns. Smiths are a little more "polished" fit and finish wise. Rugers built a little stronger. There is a reason some handloaders refer to some loads as "Ruger Loads" because Rugers can handle stiff loads, not that the Smith can't, just not as many. That being said both guns would probably last any of us 2 lifetimes, because most people will not go out and shoot hundreds of stout 44mag loads at a time. And both guns will probably shoot better than our abilities. Don't think you will go wrong with either. I have owned both and to me there is nothing better looking than a 4inch Smith blued N frame....it just looks right!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

DM
I was referring to the Model 10 and the Model 13. The addendum was done as an after thought, and in no way referred to a 44 Magnum. Study your pistol history a little and you might be surprised what you learn. But then maybe the S&W Historian lied to me??? I do not think so. Tom.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: DM

DM
I was referring to the Model 10 and the Model 13. The addendum was done as an after thought, and in no way referred to a 44 Magnum. Study your pistol history a little and you might be surprised what you learn. But then maybe the S&W Historian lied to me??? I do not think so. Tom.
The thread is aboutthe 629 (44 mag.) not a 38 spl... Sorry i couldn't read your mind and make the switch... I'll try to do better next time... lol

DM
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Porting will reduce muzzle jump and to some extent reduce recoil.

Ruger vs S&W is an old debate.
I think it boils down to what you want: truck (Ruger) vs sports car (S&W).

S&W is a fine handgun. Great trigger, accurate, sweet handling.
Ruger is a good handgun. Built like a tank, fairly accurate, all most impossible to destroy.

TO ME
S&W is a range or home defense pistol.
Ruger is a do anything pistol. That will perform as a hammer in a pinch.

A stainless S&W still has a lot of regular carbon steel in its action. I don’t want to take a S&W in the river with me. While a stainless Ruger’s actions are that, stainless. My Ruger has been through it all; rain, salt, mud, life in a truck all the time, and I’ll admit to not taking the best care of it. That is what a Ruger is built for. For me, my Ruger Redhawk is a better fit for its intended use, heavy on the hip though.

I will have nice S&W someday.

mello
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

Porting will reduce muzzle jump and to some extent reduce recoil.

Ruger vs S&W is an old debate.
I think it boils down to what you want: truck (Ruger) vs sports car (S&W).

S&W is a fine handgun. Great trigger, accurate, sweet handling.
Ruger is a good handgun. Built like a tank, fairly accurate, all most impossible to destroy.

TO ME
S&W is a range or home defense pistol.
Ruger is a do anything pistol. That will perform as a hammer in a pinch.

A stainless S&W still has a lot of regular carbon steel in its action. I don’t want to take a S&W in the river with me. While a stainless Ruger’s actions are that, stainless. My Ruger has been through it all; rain, salt, mud, life in a truck all the time, and I’ll admit to not taking the best care of it. That is what a Ruger is built for. For me, my Ruger Redhawk is a better fit for its intended use, heavy on the hip though.

I will have nice S&W someday.

mello
Pretty much fact here in this quote. They are both nice handguns in the 44mag. I boils down to personnal perference. I own and have worked on hundreds. But mostly for add ons on both not repairs. They are solid guns through and through. So pick a favorite and you can't go wrong. NOW to start another WAR. Of course the 41mag is better in both of them!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM

I've had my Super Red Hawk for 10 or12 years now. I'll admit it's not as pretty as the Red Hawk or the S&W but it's big,heavy and indestructible.I have it sighted in at 75 yards with 300 grain Remingtons. It is super accurate anditdoes notneedporting to control it. I love shooting it !!

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.