Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun ammo question. >

shotgun ammo question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun ammo question.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default shotgun ammo question.

I have 2 important questions, I have a 12 Gauge Browning BPS wiyth a interchangeable rifled choke. I have always shot sabot slugs with good results. I guy at a store told me that shooting sabots through a smooth barrel even though the choke was rifled was a waste and could damage the gun. Opinions?

Second question. I have always shot Lightfield sabots with good results but they are so damn expensive. Are winchester and Remington just as good?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun ammo question.

There will be no damage to your gun. And, if you've shot sabots with good results, it's apparently not a waste either. Youmay have had problems if the gun was backbored. There could be a possibility of gas escaping around the sabots.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM

I responded in your other post, but I pretty much agree with the above post.

Paul
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 PM
rrb

I work at a gun shop and have shot winchester and remington sabots. Don't waste your money ,stick with the Lightfields or try Breneke ko sabots for half the price. The ko's have performed great in any thing I have shot them through. If your looking for tight groups at 150 yards -Lightfields.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think that they shoulddamage your gun, but i don't have alot of experience with Browning shotguns.

I have a buddy that tried shooting an 11-87 with the rifled choke tube with poor results. It seemed what ever slug he used the results were the same. One day while I was with him when he was trying to sight it in I noticed his slugs were tumbling and hitting the target sideways, I don't think that choke tube was enough to stabilize the slugs. He now uses the old federal rifled slugs with good results.

As far as one type of slug working better than another, that is going to differ from one gun to the next. The only way to really tell is to try them out for yourself and that can get knid of spendy. I do think the sabot slugs are worth the money, I shoot an 11-87 with a fully rifled barrel w/a contilever mount and nikon 2-7x32 on top of it. I shoot the Hornady sst's out of it, with awesome results.I made my longest shot with a shotgun with this setup this fall, I shot a coyote at 194 yards- I had witnesses so that even makes it better.

Hope this helps
Tom
Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your gun is made to accept a rifled choke, then you should shoot sabot slugs or hybrid type slugs. Rifled slugs will shoot, but generally not as well, and they tend to get lead in your rifling. Accuracy won't be great after that.

I'm sure you can find cheaper sabots or hybrids that will shoot just fine, though you may have to try a few brands.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM

I agree with FF/EMT.....

I dont think that the choke tube is long enough to stabilize the sabot.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Slugs weren't meant to shoot through chokes.. I would spend the money and go get a rifled barrel or a smooth bore barrel
Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

BPS barrels are backbored from the factory. I would spend the money and get a rifled barrel