Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP! >

Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP!

Is this the only lever action .17 HMR made by Winchester? I am looking for more information on how many of these were made, I know someone selling one and I'm wondering if it's worth buying. I know there is a traditional and a legacy style, and from what I saw they sell for about $1k-$1,200.

Would this be a good pickup if someone was selling it for say, $500-$600?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP!

Are you wanting to collect it or shoot it? You can get better 17's for a lot less money I can assure you of that. That gun would probably be on the bottom of my list for a 17HMR purchase.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Well, I was wondering more about how many guns were made, and if it is a good buy for the price. I am looking at it for collector/resale value mainly, as I don't need it but the other guy needs the money.

I have a shooter .17 already which I love (savage model 93). Just trying to find out more about the winchester.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM

Firearms are generally horrible investments. You usually have to keep them in near 100% condition for a long time before you will get a really good return on the investment. However, it can be done if you can get into one cheap enough. The best bet, is to go out and buy a copy of The Blue Book of Gun Values." It will give you a lot of usefull information along with the current prices, really a ballpark figure, but it is the best option. Another option is to check gunbroker and auctionarms to see what the "real world" prices are going for.Problem with this is, these are generally asking prices and may not reflect the price they are really worth. Anybody can try and sell anything for any price they want. Then you can have a basis for comparison. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM

I agree with longrifle, if you are looking to just re sell it for a profit look at what they go for on gunbroker or other online auctions. If that particular model goes for more go ahead and buy it then re sell it. I wouldn't wait around though, the market can change fairly quickly.

I have a 9410 which is the winchester lever action .410 and I can't believe what some of them go for on gunbroker. More than what it cost when it was new a few years ago. Which was way too much in my opinion.

If you can find someone that wants one simply because it is a discontinued winchester model then you might be able to get something for it. It would be worth more in the original box unfired though. Other than that the average person is not going to give you that kind of money for one. Maybe half of what it was worth new would be my guess.

Paul
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a forum called LEVERGUNS.COM. Go there. Those guy's are experts and can truly answer your question. I disagree with the above posts. I think firearms are great investments. There certainly are hits and misses. But I have a bunch of fireams that have increased in value. Some have been drastic increases(H&K's),and I have been able to enjoy them all these years also.

My firearms are my retirement policy. I can sell them and "Uncle Sam" knows nothing about it. The problem is that instead of selling them I am giving them to the kid's in the family. Oh Well. Tom.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:57 PM

I believe Henry makes a 17HMR levergun as well.

I have a fairly large gun collection, but it because I enjoy collecting them, not for an investment. I firmly believe the stock market will outperfrom 99% of the gun collections out there over the long term.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

If you're in a position where you could sell that 9417 online you could make some money on this gun.As they've said, check Gunbroker.com, for various reasons they sell lots of them for $1,000 to $1,200.

My $.02 is that you wouldn't get hurt on that rifle if you buy it for $500-$600.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM

You cant go wrong buying any Winchester now and holding on to it.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Firearms as an investment are just like any other investment. Some choices are good and appreciate fast and some are not. It's knowing the diff that counts.

Quick Reply: Winchest 9417 Lever Action - HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.