Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Over/under choices >

Over/under choices

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Over/under choices

Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Over/under choices

I've been looking at the purchase of an over/under in the near future. I really like the fit of the Ruger Red Label but have read more than a few comments that they have quite a recoil. Any suggestions from users? thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Over/under choices

I've been looking at the purchase of an over/under in the near future. I really like the fit of the Ruger Red Label but have read more than a few comments that they have quite a recoil. Any suggestions from users? thanks.
and others said they shoot loose even though they have a mechanism in place to allow them to be opened quickly. It is one of the strongest O/U shotgun action madeand they have real walnut and not some fake walnut. Parts are reasonable and Rugers customer service is excellent. They are a great buy. I currently own a 28 gauge o/u and wouldn't even think of trading it or selling it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: wetpwdr53

Ok before we get too far on your question, a couple of questions?

`1.What gun are you shooting now?
2.What do you plan to use the gun for? (waterfowl,upland,clay targets)
3.Have you shot an over/under before?

Ok now lets look at some + and - of a over/under, they are one of the best pointing shotguns ever. Most high quality o/u's have great balance and are easy to carry. Choice of 2 different chokes, fast follow up shot,easy maintenance, ability to shoot any type of shotshell ( correctly chambered). Also for those that use them on clay targets easy to save hulls for reloading. Now on the negative side IMO only 2 shots, not easy to load in a layout blind or confined area, some are a little on the heavy side. Initial price can be high (if kept for a long time negligible). With that said as far as recoil how many shells do you shoot in a day? Some clay target shooters shoot hundreds of shells a day through an o/u. Recoil can be managed (reducers, shooting lite loads) you don't have to shoot the heaviest loads to get the best results. My advice is to visit your local skeet/trap club, talk with o/u owners ask if you could try a round with one (some clubs have loaner guns) and see how you like it. Another plus with o/u is they retain their value better than most shotguns. If your buying a gun smaller than a 12ga for upland or dove you problably won't shoot enough shells in a day for recoil to be a problem. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

I owned a Red Label for4 or 5 years and had no problems what so ever with it. Fine gun.

I do like my Browning Citori better, simply because of how it fits me and how it feels to me. That doesn't mean a Citori will fit you better though. I can see myself owning it forever, AND I also see another one in a 20 guage in my future! (I HOPE anyway!)

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot a 12ga Red Label for several years now. It is a very fine fitting gun for me. The recoil isn't any different for me than any pump(870,BPS) I shoot. They are a little more than some semi-autos such as the 11/87 because of the gas pistons. So if you are use to that the yes they will recoil somewhat differently. I'm not recoil shy either, I shoot alot of compressed handloads in 45/70 and 375 H&H so recoil doesn't effect me in ways it will someone else. But, bottom line you will not find a better shooter and reliability than the Ruger Red Label in an O/U shotgun. A-1 in my book. If you are needing some prices, I have a distributor that has a sale onthe 12ga versionsright now. E-mail me at [email protected] if interested?
Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 AM

It that price range I prefer the Brownings. I believe the quality is a step up from the Ruger guns.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 AM

If you like the Rugars,don't,I repeat,don't,look at any of the Beretta 682,686,or 687's.The Rugar just can't compare.Remember,you get what you pay for...Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you like the Rugars,don't,I repeat,don't,look at any of the Beretta 682,686,or 687's.The Rugar just can't compare.Remember,you get what you pay for...Bob
Now don't get crazy now.. I have both of them and the Beretta is far from perfect. Your forgetting that the Euro is worth almost 1.50 dollarsa record high..guess who is paying extra for that? You don't think Beretta is putting it into the gun do you? I am having cosmetic issues with a Silver Pigeon and for what I paid for it I am not happy. It had to go back to beretta one week after I purchased it because one of the action bars/cocking rod)had to be deburred. The gun would not cock. I have a Ruger Red Label 28 o/u that has had zip problems..Ruger customer service>>>>> then Beretta customer service and the wood on the Ruger is better as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I too like Oldelkhunter have both a Ruger Red Label and A Beretta 686 both 12 ga. I prefer the Ruger I have never had any problems with either but I feel the Ruger fits me better as far as customer service Ruger is excellent to deal with Beretta USA costomer service is in my opinion a joke good luck talking to a human but that is just my experience. as far as reciol I cant tell any difference chad
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

I too plan on a O/U in the near future, mine will be a 26 inch barrel 12 gauge andit will be my duck gun for the timber. I was hoping for a Red Label custom that was camo, I can only find a 28 inch though. The Beretta Silver Pigon S is one I plan on shouldering in the near future and a Franchi Renaissance also. There are some others like the Weatherby also that come recomended. Just look around and shoulder as many as you can, I bought my Son a Charles Daly 106 that seems nice, I wouldlike ejectors though which it doesn't have, I think the better named guns would have better rust preventiontoo.

Quick Reply: Over/under choices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.