Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago >

Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago

Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago

Anyone think of a model that has actually improved over time. All I see now is ways to make them faster, not better.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago

Savage

They have really stepped it up
Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Thats the only one I could come up with as well. They may be considered "rough" by some, but that new trigger seems pretty nice.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

The new model 14/114 American Classic is simply beautiful in person. The pic on their website don't do it justice. I just picked one up in 7mm-08.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Well to start, Colt, S&W, Kimber, 1911A1s, DPMS, Rock River & ets.A/R 15 rifles, high end Browning, C Z, WinchesterO/U shotguns, just for example, you just need to look at the higher end of the spectrum. An old saying comes to mind, " you get what you pay for", you spend 250.00 to 400.00 for a firearm, your going to receive a low quallity weapon prone to jams, rough actions, triggers that break like rubbing two peices of 80 grit together poor finish, when you start paying on the upper scale you will get higher quallity weapon. One that comes to mind is a Colt 1991A1 that I purchased in 1992, purchased for 450.00, good platform, spent another 500.00 and alot of labor to make it right, today I can purchase a high end 1911A1 from various manufactures and not have to put a dime into it for not much more money, BTW, I am talking dealler price not marked up!. Point is technology and materials used today is much better than it was 25 years ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most, if not all Mossbergs!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: devil dog

Well to start, Colt, S&W, Kimber, 1911A1s, DPMS, Rock River & ets.A/R 15 rifles, high end Browning, C Z, WinchesterO/U shotguns, just for example, you just need to look at the higher end of the spectrum. An old saying comes to mind, " you get what you pay for", you spend 250.00 to 400.00 for a firearm, your going to receive a low quallity weapon prone to jams, rough actions, triggers that break like rubbing two peices of 80 grit together poor finish, when you start paying on the upper scale you will get higher quallity weapon. One that comes to mind is a Colt 1991A1 that I purchased in 1992, purchased for 450.00, good platform, spent another 500.00 and alot of labor to make it right, today I can purchase a high end 1911A1 from various manufactures and not have to put a dime into it for not much more money, BTW, I am talking dealler price not marked up!. Point is technology and materials used today is much better than it was 25 years ago.
Im talking model to model. I've got a Colt series 80 in stainless, from 1988. The last one I saw had the entire gun bead blasted. I would'nt say they've improved, quite rough. 1911's in general, sure. Kimber and STI lead the way. I'dput STI at the top.ParaOrdinance is up there too, but mainly because I like Todd Jarrett. I've spent enough ona 1911 to buy a newKimber.

Typically highend guns stay highend. No doubt.My Citoriis about as good as its gets, for me anyway. I havent seen where there havebeen major changes other than choke tubes.

I've noticed though, that older Rem 700's, Model 70's, and Tang-Safety Rugers seem toreally hold their value.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

ORIGINAL: devil dog

Im talking model to model. I've got a Colt series 80 in stainless, from 1988. The last one I saw had the entire gun bead blasted. I would'nt say they've improved, quite rough. 1911's in general, sure. Kimber and STI lead the way. I'dput STI at the top.ParaOrdinance is up there too, but mainly because I like Todd Jarrett. I've spent enough ona 1911 to buy a newKimber.

Typically highend guns stay highend. No doubt.My Citoriis about as good as its gets, for me anyway. I havent seen where there havebeen major changes other than choke tubes.

I've noticed though, that older Rem 700's, Model 70's, and Tang-Safety Rugers seem toreally hold their value.
I don't know...the "pre-series 70" Colt Gold Cup I bought in 1964 was a very fine pistol!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about Sako? I'm not sure, but the new 85 seems every bit as good as their older models, maybe better with lighter stocks, stainless, and flueted barrels.

Tikka is new too, and wasn't around 25 years ago. And a relatively inexpensive line ($500) so still decent quality and 1MOA accuracy and wonderful trigger, smoothest bolt around.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Name a gun that is better now than it was 25 years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.