Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243 >

Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243

Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
FA
Fork Horn

Default Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243

I wanted a cheap yote rifle and a back-up whitetail gun, so I bought a new Handi-rifle. I hear these are very accurate and dependable. Did I make a good choice?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243

You know, a few years ago I would have said yes, but I don't know anymore. Not that the handi rifles are bad because they are not. Although I have heard of the .243 in particular having problems with the cases sticking, don't know if they fixed that or not.

The thing is now for around the same money you can get a decent bolt action, like the Stevens 200 which are basically a non accu trigger savage, or the mossberg bolt guns. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the handi rifles, but when you can get a proven bolt action design for the same or not much more money that is hard to pass up.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
FA
Fork Horn

Thanks for your input Paul. I know they made a design change in the ejector. They went from one that ejects the shell out of the chamber to one that pulls the shell up so you can manually pull the shell out. I only paid 240.00 for it but it fills the bill for what I need. How was the accuracy?
Thanks,
Fred
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: FA

Thanks for your input Paul. I know they made a design change in the ejector. They went from one that ejects the shell out of the chamber to one that pulls the shell up so you can manually pull the shell out. I only paid 240.00 for it but it fills the bill for what I need. How was the accuracy?
Thanks,
Fred
My best friend owns the .243 Handi Rifle with a 3x9 scope on it and boy can that thing shoot. I'm looking at getting one. Nice thing is you can get multiple barrels i believe.
Question, by Uncle hunts bear and Deer in NY. I told him i was interested in hunting bear and he invited me to come up. Will a single shot be ok for bear or should i try to find an inexpensive bolt action?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

For bear I would get a bolt action for quick follow up shot if needed.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Do you have an inexpensive brand you could recommend?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 AM
FA
Fork Horn

I don't think it would be a good idea to use a single shot for bear. Sometimes you need that follow-up shot and reload a single is too slow. I use mostly lever actions to hunt with and for bear I like the 45-70 for blackbear and grizzley. Bolt actions work great too.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Banned

My brother in law has the .243 and father in law has a 22 hornet. Both are pretty accurate. Not the best looking finish or trigger, but for 175 bucks, cant really beat it.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I had a handi .243 that my sons used as their first deer rifle. My rifle was inconsistent at best with regards to accuracy. I finally gave up on it and purchased them quality bolt guns.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM

I purchased one 2 years ago for my youngest boy. Its the youth model, short stocked and 20" barrel. I had a lot of problems wth cases sticking. Looked at the chamber and noticed it was very rough. I took the old dremmel tool and some polishing compound and fixed the problem. Its not a exceptionally accurate but its sufficient out to 100 yards. more than enough for my boy.

Quick Reply: Anyone own an H&R Handi-rifle in .243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.