Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger or Savage hunting rifle >

Ruger or Savage hunting rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger or Savage hunting rifle

Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger or Savage hunting rifle

I too am a Ruger fan so I would buy a Ruger also 7mm-08 is my favorite caliber I have 6 the savage rifles are good but the stocks are well not so good if you buy a Ruger a Gunsmith can clean-up the trigger for $25-30 and you will have a good solid rifle but that is just my opinion chad
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 AM

I went looking yesterday. I looked at the Tikkas and a couple of Savages. My problem is find a 7mm-08. I like the feel of the Tikka a little better than the Savage. The one place I went to that carried Tikkas had one, I think it was a .270 T3 lite for $525. Seemed a little high to me. There is one other place that I am going to check next week to see what they have. I do know a couple of guys that have their FFL, so I may have to buy one online. There is an auction site called gunbrokers.com that has a lot of guns. I did find a Ruger M77 synthetic stock with a stainless barrel in .280 for $506. Seemed like a good price but I wasn't sure. Some one else mentioned a place to order Tikkas, CDNN not sure what that stands for. Can someone help me out on this? Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Check outthis site: http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator/locatorstart.asp
Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okiejaco

The one place I went to that carried Tikkas had one, I think it was a .270 T3 lite for $525. Seemed a little high to me.

There is an auction site called gunbrokers.com that has a lot of guns.
I checked on that "new" Gunbroker site, and they do have a few guns.

It also appears from the prices of Tikkas on GB that the $525 price is actually pretty good. Most all that I saw were in the $540 range before shipping and FFL fees.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89226936
Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM

I don't think gunbroker is new. I have had it my favorites for probably a year. retrieverman you may be looking at the hunter series. I was looking at getting the lite withthe blue barrel. A lot of them are in the $460 range.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=8882281
Old 01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "new" statement about GB was a joke. I have been using it since 1999 or 2000.

One thing to consider about buying guns off the internet is shipping costs and FFL fees. I have seen many instances that the gun itself might be cheaper, but by the time you add the other expenses back in, it is nearly as cheap to buy local.

I average buying and selling 20-30 guns each year, and the margins between internet prices and local prices are getting thinner. The biggest advantage for me is not price, but that my local dealers don't carry hardly any of the guns that I am interested in.

If I can't save at least $50, I will buy local.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:47 PM

I agree about shipping and transfer fees. I am also having a hard time finding what I want.I will have to pay tax on the one here and that is going to be around $40-$45. Shipping and transfer fees are going to be around $50-$60. I sure would prefer to by local if at all possible.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just out of curiosity, why would you not get a stainless model?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM

I like stainless don't get me wrong, I have an TC Omega that is stainless. Just trying to save a little money. No other reason. Trying to get a cheaper rifle that I won't mind get scratched up a little. My Ruger #1 is a little nice and heavy to be taking out in the mesquites.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were spending $450, I would sure spend another $50-60 to get what I really want. In 5 years, you will be glad you did.

Quick Reply: Ruger or Savage hunting rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.