HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning Abolt Hunter in 222 remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/225091-browning-abolt-hunter-222-remington.html)

oldelkhunter 12-31-2007 02:17 PM

Browning Abolt Hunter in 222 remington

Anyone ever own one of these? I have always liked that little .222 and can imagine it will be a shooter.

speyrjb 12-31-2007 03:48 PM

RE: Browning Abolt Hunter in 222 reminton

I've never owned a browning a-bolt in 222 but I'm a huge Browning a-bolt fan! I love the caliber too! The ones I have messed with love 45 grain v-max bullets.

Is this for your varmit / predator project? I think that would be a great gun / caliber for that application!

WestVirginiaBrent 12-31-2007 04:02 PM

I swear by my A-bolt, it's most of my hunting buddies main rifles as well. I think the Browning safety is the best location for a hunting rifle as well, right where you need it and quiet. TheHunter is a very practical, no nonsense rifle. I have never shot a 222 though.

trailer 12-31-2007 04:07 PM

I’ve never shot a Browning rifle but I do have a 222 Rem. I like shooting that little round. Came in handy this fall for pest control. Funny thing is that I stocked up on brass for it and haven’t start reloading yet...[>:]

oldelkhunter 12-31-2007 06:29 PM

Is this for your varmit / predator project? I think that would be a great gun / caliber for that application!
Yep how did you guess:DI figure with a 50 grain bullet it can double up on Elk because it is a little overkill on deer.

speyrjb 01-02-2008 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Yep how did you guess:DI figure with a 50 grain bullet it can double up on Elk because it is a little overkill on deer.
LMAO! I would never shoot anything less than a 50 BMG at elk because as we all know they have armor plate and tank suspension. I'm all about being ethical. Sure wouldn't want someone on this site to think I'm unethical.

However, back to the 222, the ones I have messed with preferred a shorter barrel, around 20"-22" so the a-bolt hunter would be ideal I would think.

doubleA 01-02-2008 12:32 PM

I have only seen and handled the Browning A Bolt Varminter chambered in the ol tripple duece. They come with a blued light varmint contour barrel and camoflaged synthetic stock. As good as that cartridge is I would still opt for a 223 over the 222 just for the fact of ammo is much cheaper and more availble and slightly better ballistics.

Will_C 01-02-2008 05:34 PM

If my personal experirences mean anything, that gun should shoot! I have two A-bolts, a .243 and a .30-06. Both will shoot a variety of loads under an inch at 100 yards, the .243 shooting 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips under .5" if I do my part.
I had a Remington 788 in.222, and I shot the best group of my life (.25 inch-5 shots) with that rifle. Why did I trade it?:eek: I currently have a Rem Model 7 in.222. That little carbine will shoot .5" groups all day. Combine that cartridge with an a-bolt, and happiness should result!!
Will