Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage rifle >

Savage rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifle

Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Savage rifle

I would say....NO DEAL HOWIE!

Good Caliber, good scope, terrible mounts and I'm not a Savage anything fan.

The gun plus $200....maybe...but then again he prob wouldn't go for that deal so oh well.

5 shots thru a copenhagen lid? I have a Romanian bolt action 22lr with open sightsthat I paid $60 for that I can do that at 100 yards.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

I'd question the shooting ability and word of anyone that puts see thru mounts on a gun with no sights, LOL.
LMAO!!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Your trading down. Savage although a good shooter, the quality of craftsmanship in a savage is lacking.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 AM

UPDATE - I recieved an email this morning. The gun has not been spray painted, but powder coated. Also, he claims that those are not see through rings, and he does not have the iron sights to go with it. Again, hard to believe that he consistently shoots a copenhaged lid at 500 yards. Thanks for the advise, a bad trade for sure.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Yes, I'd agree as well. I'm not sure what Matthews you're shooting, but I have two, a SB and an older one, the original Solo-cam.....and quite honestly I've got more money in either of them than that Savage could possibly be worth. In the condition that gun is in.....spray painted?.....I don't think I'd give 300 bucks for it, as it sits.

And yeah, I'd want to shoot the rifle first myself.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd question the shooting ability and word of anyone that puts see thru mounts on a gun with no sights, LOL.
ROFLMAO...

See thru rings when there's no open sights. Um, H-E-L-L-O!!!!

#1) Get RID of those stupid see-thru rings.
#2) Remount the scope in some quality rings (Burris, Weaver, etc...)
#3) Bore sight it, fine tune it at the range, and enjoy.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: GamecockHunter

UPDATE - I recieved an email this morning. The gun has not been spray painted, but powder coated. Also, he claims that those are not see through rings, and he does not have the iron sights to go with it. Again, hard to believe that he consistently shoots a copenhaged lid at 500 yards. Thanks for the advise, a bad trade for sure.

I think I'd call BS on the powder coating....you can see on the scope turret covers where the coating has been rubbed off, leaving the paint in the grooves....hmmmm
As far as the rings go, they're definitely too high off the gunto be optimal for accuracy. See through or not.
And as far as the five shots through a 2.5" copenagen lid at 500 yards....I'd say extremely unlikely.That'd equal intoshooting less than a 1/2" at 100 yards, andthat's not allowing for barrelheat, wind, or anything else.

In short......
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

a .5" group would be about 2.6" at 500 yards
Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 PM

That is one of the more humorous things I have seen on the internet and I would tend to agree with it.

I would walk away from this deal for sure. Now we are talking 500 yards! Umm not saying it can't be done, but I'm willing to throw the BS flag on this one too. Not with that scope and those cheap high mounts. There is no way you can get a decent cheek weld with those mounts to shoot accurately at that distance. Then take into account it looks fairly low powered and doesn't seem to have any parallax correction. 500 yards is a LOOONG way with the proper set up, and this certainly doesn't qualify in my opinion.

And those are see through mounts, and cheap ones from the looks of it. Then again you don't see too many high quality see through mounts do you.

And a spray painted gun and scope? ICK[:'(]. I have seen a few that looked ok, but that is not one of them. And it is for sure spray painted not powder coated.

I think you can do better to be honest. Look around on the classifieds here and see what you can find.

Bows don't have much resale value usually, but Mathews seem to do pretty well in that regard.

Paul
Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know how much your bow should be worth and how much you want to trade for a rifle.
You must have been intersted in this Savage to make the post.

I would say don't deny yourself the opportunity to see if this rifle is what you're looking for.
The only way to decide is to shoot it. If that's not possible, I would move on.

I would never buy or trade for any rifle without taking it to the range.
Good luck!