Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .45 ACP in a revolver? >

.45 ACP in a revolver?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.45 ACP in a revolver?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Default .45 ACP in a revolver?

I thought the .45 ACP was rimless.
Yet S&W and Ruger both (if not more) make revolvers in this cal.
How can a rimless round work in a revolver? And is the .45 AP the same?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .45 ACP in a revolver?

2 ways they can work. First is with a small "ridge" in the cylinder like in my Ruger Super Blackhawk, which is no big deal with single action revolvers cause you have to punch out each empty casing anyway, mine has 2 cylinders, 1 for .45ACP and 1 for .45 Colt. The other way is with moon clips that hold the shells together, which is the way the Smith and Wessons work.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Some double action revolvers chambered in 45 colt can use moon clips thus enabling the 45 acp to fired in them. Moon clips are made of spring steel and usually hold 3 rounds, when use snap the acp cartridge in them the clip prevents the round from falling in the chamber.Cylinders, such as the one availble for the ruger blackhawk convertable ischambered for the 45 acp only are just that, they will headpsaced off the rim of the cartridge mouth and will not accept a 45 colt. The same thing can be had for using the 9mm in 38 spec or 357 mag revolvers.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: doubleA

Some double action revolvers chambered in 45 colt can use moon clips thus enabling the 45 acp to fired in them.

Frankly I doubt this. Compare the thickness of the .45 Colt rim to the combined thickness of the .45 ACP rim and the clip when the cartridge is in it - the .45 ACP in a moon clip has almost 3X the thickness of the .45 Colt revolver cartridge's rim - (same thickness as the .45 Auto-Rim case!) You could not close a .45 Coltcylinder with 45 ACP rounds in a moon clip in it-no revolver is that sloppy! If it were, the .45 Colt ammo would not fire because the primer would be too far away from the standing breech for the firing pin to reach it.

To fire .45 ACP rounds in a revolver requires a cylinder with headspace dimensions specifically made for that cartridge with moon or half-moon clips. That's why there are two different cylinders furnished with Ruger single-action .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible revolvers..