Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ultimate defense gun >

ultimate defense gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ultimate defense gun

Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ultimate defense gun

if you were going to buy one gun for indoors out doors close and far range say out to 100 yards
what would it be and what accessories would you wont on it
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ultimate defense gun

If you're shooting at someone at 100 yards, it's unlikely self defense unless he's got a rifle, and there aren't too many crackheads conducting fire and maneuver assaults on residencial homes from down the block these days.

I would say that I'd probably go with a pump 12 gauge loaded with 2 3/4" OO buckshot and a IC or Cyl Bore choke with rifle sights. But if you think you really need to reach out 100 yards or more, I'd go with an M4A3 style Ar-15 with both a holographic sight and iron flip up backup sights and a collapsable stock in the collapsed position and the 16" barrel and short handguards. It'll reach out to well beyond 100 yards if you needed it to and is compact enough for CQB. Use either a varmint bullet (frangiable) or a long FMJ like the M855/SS109 NATO ball to limit overpenetration and you're all set. And yes, contrary to the intuitive sense for the 5.56 NATO ball ammo, it isn't a great penetrator because it becomes unstable and tumbles the instant it hits anything substancial, particularly flesh.

Mike

Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know not to often you need to reach out to 100 in self defense but i like to prepare for everything you might be hunting or on the run from someone and they do not wont to let you get away i also would go with a AR 16 inch barrel with a good sight properly a low level magnification and iron sights
ORIGINAL: driftrider

If you're shooting at someone at 100 yards, it's unlikely self defense unless he's got a rifle, and there aren't too many crackheads conducting fire and maneuver assaults on residencial homes from down the block these days.

I would say that I'd probably go with a pump 12 gauge loaded with 2 3/4" OO buckshot and a IC or Cyl Bore choke with rifle sights. But if you think you really need to reach out 100 yards or more, I'd go with an M4A3 style Ar-15 with both a holographic sight and iron flip up backup sights and a collapsable stock in the collapsed position and the 16" barrel and short handguards. It'll reach out to well beyond 100 yards if you needed it to and is compact enough for CQB. Use either a varmint bullet (frangiable) or a long FMJ like the M855/SS109 NATO ball to limit overpenetration and you're all set. And yes, contrary to the intuitive sense for the 5.56 NATO ball ammo, it isn't a great penetrator because it becomes unstable and tumbles the instant it hits anything substancial, particularly flesh.

Mike
Old 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM
DM

The sameshotgun set up for buckshot, used with slugs IS a 100 yard weapon...

DM
Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 PM

I would say a shotgun is the best home self defense gun, because you just have to point them in the general direction of the target.
Plus-Hearing a shotgun action slam shut on one side of a doorwill send about 90% of the people on the other side of the door running. If they don't run far enough, slugswould reach 100 yds.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, slug power IS impressive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuztMQiF_s&feature=related

Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

the only thing if you wont shotgun hunt at 100 yards why would you use one for defense at a 10 yards and when someone is in my house te only thing i wont them to hear is bang bang
ORIGINAL: opieone

I would say a shotgun is the best home self defense gun, because you just have to point them in the general direction of the target.
Plus-Hearing a shotgun action slam shut on one side of a doorwill send about 90% of the people on the other side of the door running. If they don't run far enough, slugswould reach 100 yds.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

the only thing if you wont shotgun hunt at 100 yards why would you use one for defense at a 10 yards and when someone is in my house te only thing i wont them to hear is bang bang

I'm confused, please decipher this for me.

I'd pick a 12 gauge as well in this situation. I could use my AR with a flatop, EoTech, and backup irons though.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

what i am saying you would use a shotgun to shoto someone 100 yards away most people tell me not to hunt with one out to 50 or 60
and i do not mean a slug gun because you can not use shot in them
ORIGINAL: Rammer

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

I'm confused, please decipher this for me.

I'd pick a 12 gauge as well in this situation. I could use my AR with a flatop, EoTech, and backup irons though.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

For 100 yards or less, I'd take a AKM over a shotgun, for 20 yards or less, I'd take the shotgun.

Quick Reply: ultimate defense gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.