Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what state would you pick >

what state would you pick

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what state would you pick

Old 12-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default what state would you pick

if you were going to buy land for hunting fishing so on
what state would you pick if you could go any where and your job family where not a issue where would it be and lets say mexico and canada are options as well
what would make your choice
like hunting season length
gun laws
or what

say for rifle
bow
shotgun
and muzzleloader
if any of them would be differnt then another
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what state would you pick

[ol][*]New Mexico[*]Eastern Montana[*]Alberta[*]Texas[*]Wyoming[/ol]
Not in that order based on the fact they are properly managed for big game , have good genetics in their herds and have liberal hunting seasons for a wide variety of game.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alaska.............
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Hell, I like where I am.

Southwestern Arkansas....I've got three lakes within two hours driving distance where people regularly pull 8-10 lb largemouths, two rivers that give up 50lb channel cats, and thousands of acres of timber owned by logging companies that'll give access with a phone call....several 150+ point whitetails are taken every year around here. We get six months of bow season, and a month of rifle.

But yeah, if someone offered me a spot in Alaska, I wouldn't laugh at them.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good i like my area there are hundreds if not thousands of strip pit lakes around here big deer nd big fish lots of fish i am in southwest Indiana as for the areas i have hunted and fished this area tops them all except maybe lake Cumberland in Somerset KY
ORIGINAL: leben_Sir_gut

Hell, I like where I am.

Southwestern Arkansas....I've got three lakes within two hours driving distance where people regularly pull 8-10 lb large mouths, two rivers that give up 50lb channel cats, and thousands of acres of timber owned by logging companies that'll give access with a phone call....several 150+ point whitetails are taken every year around here. We get six months of bow season, and a month of rifle.

But yeah, if someone offered me a spot in Alaska, I wouldn't laugh at them.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM

If i had a choice i would go abck to Alabama to live. 72 days of gun deer season and 1 buck and 1 doe a day. you cant beat that.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

is there a season limit
ORIGINAL: Retaks

If i had a choice i would go abck to Alabama to live. 72 days of gun deer season and 1 buck and 1 doe a day. you cant beat that.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When was the last time you were down by Lake Cumberland. I heard the dam there was in big trouble. I used to fish that lake, along with Dale Hollow a good bit. I had some great times fishing, and hunting in KY, it was a great state.

It is great here in WV, but the lake fishing is a little sparse. We have a camp on Sutton Lake, but we are moving our camp to Burnsville Lake this year. The fishing on Sutton is good, it is just closer to go to Burnsville.

There are only two states in the country that I have not been to. I have done alot of traveling. If I had to pick one place based solely on what I like to do-I would pick Flagstaff, Arizona. You can do it all there. they have Elk, Deer, Predator's, Varmint's, and lot's of trout.

Alaska is truly an exciting place to be. It has it all. But being an older handicapped person I would have a hard time enjoying what it has to offer. Maybe for a young person. Just be prepared for tough conditions(all the time) Tom.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i lived in the lake Cumberland area for a year and a half in 04
it is not in big trouble but in trouble there was a issue with it leaking and a issue it might collapse currently they are fixing it the water level is like 25% under winter level which now it is the lowest level since they built the dam but as i am sure you know it is a big lake so still alot of good fishing and the hunting i think is better since so many people left the area
and in northen indiana where i grow up they had a lake that the dam had the same proplem andwhen it was lowfor 8 years land went from 10 grand a acre to 2 or less so i think you could get land cheap around lake cumberland right now

for dale hollow i spent a year in burkesville which is right on the border by Celina Tn i liked it there but the fishing and hunting is not as good as Cumberland and the lake is real dirty and some what contaminated from all the house boats and the so called hillbilly septic systems that run into the lake

if i move again it will be lake Cumberland or land between the lakes which is in west KY
The only thing i got against KY hunting is it is so hilly and has so many cliffs it is hard to find a good spot
and get caught trespassing down there you will get shot i the a**
when i scouted i carry ed a handgun just in case i walk into someone property because there are alot of moonshiners and pot growers down there

and it is easy to trespass out of the parks because there not marked deep in the woods

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

When was the last time you were down by Lake Cumberland. I heard the dam there was in big trouble. I used to fish that lake, along with Dale Hollow a good bit. I had some great times fishing, and hunting in KY, it was a great state.

It is great here in WV, but the lake fishing is a little sparse. We have a camp on Sutton Lake, but we are moving our camp to Burnsville Lake this year. The fishing on Sutton is good, it is just closer to go to Burnsville.

There are only two states in the country that I have not been to. I have done alot of traveling. If I had to pick one place based solely on what I like to do-I would pick Flagstaff, Arizona. You can do it all there. they have Elk, Deer, Predator's, Varmint's, and lot's of trout.

Alaska is truly an exciting place to be. It has it all. But being an older handicapped person I would have a hard time enjoying what it has to offer. Maybe for a young person. Just be prepared for tough conditions(all the time) Tom.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well even that has changed you now have a 3 buck limit for the season. one which has to have 4 points on one side.

Quick Reply: what state would you pick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.