Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what state would you pick >

what state would you pick

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what state would you pick

Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what state would you pick

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter
[ol][*]New Mexico[*]Colorado[*]Montana[*]Alberta[*]B.C.[*]Washington[*]Alaska[/ol]
Not in that order based on the fact they are properly managed for big game, have good genetics in their herds and have liberal hunting seasons for a wide variety of game.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

[ol][*]New Mexico[*]Colorado[*]Montana[*]Alberta[*]B.C.[*]Washington[*]Alaska[/ol]
~

YOur list would work
Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

jut thik one day were be hunting on mars
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

How was your last trip there?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Spike

I might be getting too practical here, butI believeweare assuming you're just buying hunting land and are not going to move to that state?

In that case a major influence, with me at least, would be the game laws for non-residents. Many states have instituted huge price hikes for their non-resident licenses AND they are radically restricting what kind of hunting non-residents can do and where they can do it. Seasons have been altered for non-residents, they're banned from hunting on public land, fewer tags are allocated, and other restrictions apply and it doesn't matter if you own land.

For example, New Mexico is mentioned. I don't know the current particulars, but I do recall that non residentswere either very restricted as far asthe number of elk tags that were allocated after the residents get tagsorthere are no non-resident tags at all unless you're with an outfitter. I could be wrong on this as it relates to NM, but the point is the rules are different ifyou're not a resident and often the cost is 2-10X more for a license or a tag.

Look at South Dakota as well. It doesn't matter if you own land out there, you're still paying $110 for a pheasant license. And then they tried to ban non-residents from hunting at all during the first two weeks of season but later backed down not because it was a monumentally bad idea, but because the hotel, motel, and restaurant owners reminded the legislators which side of the bread the butter was on seeing as how the average resident spends $50 a year on hunting and then expects change.

Basically it's quickly reaching the point where just because you own land doesn't mean you'll be able to hunt on it.

Grouse

Old 12-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd love to live in Montana, Wyoming or S. Dakota...but I'll probably never move away from Iowa at least until I retire which is a LONG way away.

Mike

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

South Tx.. 1) because that is where I grew up.. and 2)It has Big Deer, Hogs, Dove andQuail.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol i did not get anything not to many big game running around but i took a shot at a little green guy after that i was wondering[ why there was a empty case of beer by my chair also i wonder if there be taking deer there to live in thebig bubble city
ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

How was your last trip there?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

east montana....whats with the double posts!?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Montana,

Quick Reply: what state would you pick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.