Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington to buyout Marlin >

Remington to buyout Marlin

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington to buyout Marlin

Old 12-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington to buyout Marlin

I have always considered a Marlin Lever gun one of the best values for the money. I don't really have much of a need to trade, or resell because I am too busy using them. My 336 probably wouldn't fetch a lot on a trade in, but it is extremely dependable. I think it's design would be hard to beat. I don't consider it a cheap gun. My biggest fear is that the folks at Remington (or whoever the bean counters are)will start charging what the gun is worth. Then, it will be up to them to keep the quality the same.

Bigcountry, if you have any Marlins left you might want to hold on to them if this is all true. The trade in prices you spoke of a will most likely go up.

C. Davis
Old 12-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also consider marlin a good gun for the money and there not much on a trade i did pay 275 for my 3030 and got 200 for it on a trade with a mossberg 500 i paid 200 for the 500 and got 200 for the trade on a arso i am not sure there that bad on a trade
if you wont something you will get nothing for a gun on trade but if the other guy is the one wonting the trade you come out better supply and demand
ORIGINAL: C. Davis

I have always considered a Marlin Lever gun one of the best values for the money. I don't really have much of a need to trade, or resell because I am too busy using them. My 336 probably wouldn't fetch a lot on a trade in, but it is extremely dependable. I think it's design would be hard to beat. I don't consider it a cheap gun. My biggest fear is that the folks at Remington (or whoever the bean counters are)will start charging what the gun is worth. Then, it will be up to them to keep the quality the same.

Bigcountry, if you have any Marlins left you might want to hold on to them if this is all true. The trade in prices you spoke of a will most likely go up.

C. Davis
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM

They could come up with a new lever gun and or caliber to fit. It's all over but the cryin'.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to see this. I'm a Marlin fan ... not much affection towards Remmy. Bummer.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think this is circling the wagons long before the Indians attack. There is no real reason to think that this buy out will have a bad effect. Marlin rifles have jumped in price a bunch in the last few years. I am a big fan of both Remington and Marlin. This could be a good deal for both. I am in the wait and see mode.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Remington bought Bushmaster just recently as well......................Harold
Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i did not know that makes me worry when i go to buy another bushmaster ar
ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

i think lever actions are head out the door we got bolt action which to be eems to be what most people use and the semi autos and ar are getting populer so i think evers will become a thing of the past like older guns
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 AM

I always viewed Marlin as a manufacturer of Quality products at a reasonable price. The 22's are inexpensive andcrazy accurate, the lever guns are of higher quality than the winchester leverguns (at least lately) and they are a conservative company who does not ditch a proven albeit old design for the newest gee gaws. I respect MArlin for that. But Marlin if I am not mistaken, has changed hands many times since the late 1800's.I think Remington will probably leave the line alone for the first little bit but with rem's incredible budget, they will probably dump more R and D money into Marlin than Marlin might have been able to do. Remington has never been thought of as a high qulaity arm, but a decent consumer grade arm that most people could afford (like the model 70). You can get a 700 for 500-600 bucks retail and that is pretty cheap.
Buyouts and aquisitions can be bad or good. Look at Cerberus buying Chrysler. When Daimler owned Chrysler, the line got worse and worse until they were about the least liked and sold American car Mark. Can cerberus do any worse?
When S&W was owned by a british company, they almost went under. Now they are back on top with a great 1911, and promising combat psitol in the M & P, and homegrown bolt action design (and not just a rebadged husqvarna or howa) and they even are remaking the model 29.
Although I don't own any remigtons I am willing to wait and see. I do own some marlins
okcmco
And BTW, Beretta has done well by Benelli and Franchi as well as Stoeger. I don't have any experience with Sako but have always viewed them as overpriced for what you get. Could be wrong but for the price of a Sako85, you could get a Kimber.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Remington didn't buy Bushmaster. Cerberus bought Bushmaster in 2006 and then bought Remingtonthis year. [/align]

Quick Reply: Remington to buyout Marlin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.