Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Argintine Mauser? >

Argintine Mauser?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Argintine Mauser?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Argintine Mauser?

Guy here at the house has a old rifle.Says"MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO1891" Manufactura Lowe Berlin .He said he thought it was a 7.62 of some sorts I tried to stick a 7.62 x54 in the chamber no go tried a .308 no go .It does not have the piece running down the bolt like for crf on regular mausers and Winnies.Any Ideas what this is or caliber ...........SWAMP Told him I would give a $100.00 BTW it does not have a floor plate like a Mauser but looks like a Nagant on the bottom.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Argintine Mauser?

The caliber is7.65 Argentine. Is the receiver and bolt in the white or are they blued? Is the the crest still on the receiver? Are the numbers all matching? Just a few of the things to look for.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crest has been sanded off ,Bolt is in the white but the receiver is in the blue. Does have matching numbers.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Do the numbers match? It's still worth $100.00 provided the bore is good and it hasn't been "sporterized" in any way.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

yes it is what I call a 7.625 argentine mauser because I have one, a guy told me , at a sporting goods store I won't mention that it was a 7.62 x 54 no no these are a very specific caliber. the 7.62x54 rounds I fired went crazy spiraled and whacko the primer actually mushroomed i fired four rounds and went back to show my friend he said do not fire any more I went and got norma argentine 7.65 round and did alot of online searching. and actually talked to a guy from argentine he said the rifles were why they lost the war with the british kinda a cheaply made gun and I found prices up to $165.00 on some gun auctions online. the 7 mm round made by mauser came in alot of odd combos which made the case a different length if i remember correctly the 65 ment the diameter or length of the case and this was because the belgiums and germans and any other nieghboring country did not want there enemy to be able to take the rifle and use there ammo in it or vise versa take the dead guys ammo or weapon and be able to use it. I also think this was a nato round in fmj at one time could be wrong on that
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 PM

some were made in 7x57 I believe, A very good round
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

Guy here at the house has a old rifle.Says"MAUSER MODELO ARGENTINO1891" Manufactura Lowe Berlin .He said he thought it was a 7.62 of some sorts I tried to stick a 7.62 x54 in the chamber no go tried a .308 no go .It does not have the piece running down the bolt like for crf on regular mausers and Winnies.Any Ideas what this is or caliber ...........SWAMP Told him I would give a $100.00 BTW it does not have a floor plate like a Mauser but looks like a Nagant on the bottom.
As mentioned above, the cartridge it uses is the 7.65X53mm or 7.65X54mm Argentine/BelgianMAUSER rimless round. This cartridge is entirely different from the 7.62X54R, the rimmed round for the Mosin-Nagant! You cannot shoot Russian rifle ammo in these Argentine rifles! The Argentine rifles, both the M 1891 and the M1909, are much finer rifles than anything ever made in Russia (well, except maybe for stuff made for the Tsar himself!!) They were made when German military rifle craftsmanship was about the best anywhere.

I've seen the cartridge nomenclature for this rifle expressedboth ways, ie., X53 or X54. They are the same cartridge. There was some poorly made Argentine ammo floating around several years back that had a head-to-shoulder lenght that was too long, and it would not chamber in rifles with tight chambers, resulting in a rumor that the Argentine Army & Navy usedtwo different rifle cartridges. In effect, they did, but it was NOT intentional, as all their rifles were chambered for only the one cartridge. (I got this info straight from anArgentinian naval officer!)

The bore diameter of these rifles is about the same as the .303 British or 7.7X58 Japanese, and the FN Belgian and FM Argentine ammo I have has .314" bullets-the Belgian stuff's bullets weigh 174grains, the Argentine bullets weigh 185 grains. But I use .308" diameter, 200-grain bullets in loading for mine, and get excellent accuracy.

I have made some ammo for mine using .308 cases, but they are actually too short by 2-3mm. Graf's sells ammo for this rifle.http://www.grafs.com/ammo/240

This cartridgeis every bit as good as the .308, and in the Model 1909 Argentine rifle, which is merely a version of the M 98 Mauser, this round can be loaded to nearly .30/'06 level performance especially if you leave the barrel 29" long! BUT, you have to keep pressures lower for ammo used in the M91's-they aren't as strong as the 1909's....
Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Told him I would give a $100.00 BTW it does not have a floor plate like a Mauser but looks like a Nagant on the bottom.
If you buy it and its in original condition and the bore isn't a complete sewer pipe, I'll offer you $150+ shipping for it if you decide that you don't like it.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have made some ammo for mine using .308 cases, but they are actually too short by 2-3mm.
I've seen an old guy that I used to shoot with at the range do the exact same thing, apparantly it works well.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

eldeguello covered it nicely (as he always does). I've got one of these rifles too, though mine was made by DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken). It's all original except for the crest havingbeen ground off. My grandfather bought it years ago and I ended up with it when he passed away in '73. I use if for hunting occassionally, but nota lotas I don't care muchfor hunting with iron sights.

The cartridge is in factthe 7.65x53 or 7.65mm Argentine. Norma makes ammo for it. Imostly shoot handloads inmine using150 gr.Hornadyor Sierra bullets. Sierra bullets are .311" in diameter while Hornadys are .312". I getbetter accuracy with Hornadys.

Quick Reply: Argintine Mauser?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.