Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun!!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Default New Gun!!

Merry Christmas,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope that I am not being redundant. My wife bought me a new stainless/synthetic ruger hawkeye 7mm mag. I was wondering if there is anybody that has experience with this rifle and caliber. I wantedonerifle thatwouldbe suitable for anything froma small Oklahoma deer to a large New Mexico Elk. I want to put a middle of the line scope on it. I have been looking seriously at the Nikon Monarch and Buckmaster BDC scopes. I have done a lot of upland bird and cottontailhunting butthe big game stuff isstill new to me. I would appreciate any help or advice that you can offer.

Thanks!

Mo
Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Gun!!

Don't have much experience with the Ruger,But the 7MM Mag. will do the job with a good heavy premium bullet.JMHO
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon makes some good scopes. What price range are you considering, we can help you out more if we know a dollar ammount.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:24 AM

I would like to get as much scope (bang for the buck) as possible for under $400.00.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a helluva buy on that scope!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked and handled one of the new Ruger's. It felt like a good one. IMO you made a great choice on your new rifle. The cartridge you have should also do you well. The advice Ridge Runner gave you is very sound. IMO the power of the scope is a bit high for a big game rifle, but the price is good. While you are on that site take a look at the Zeiss Conquest scopes they have for sale there. A 3X9 is more than adequate, and I normally always have my power selector on the low end, not the high end. Tom.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats and welcomehave fun shooting the new gun i got a mossberg 500 for my xmas gift
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome!!! Congrats on the gun!! Ruger makes wonderful guns IMHO! a 3.5-10x40 or 3-9x40 will serve that rifle well! I like the Bushnell Elites for the buck....
Old 12-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Spike

Sounds like you have the perfect setup for what you want. A good scope would round it out just fine, andNikon makes a good one.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe you will find the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge has all the power you will ever need for any animal you might run across in New Mexico, including the occasional grizzly you might encounter in the Pecos or Gila Wilderness! That 7 Mag. is an excellent elk cartridge! I use a handloaded 175-grain Nosler Partition in my Ruger No. 1B for elk, but a 160-grain is probably just as good. I found that mine destroyed a little too much meat for me when using it on deer (with the 140-grain bullet), so I got a 7X57mm for the "smaller" stuff, like the 300+ pound mulies you find in the Turkey Mountains near Ocate!

You are indeed fortunate to be able to hunt in NM! Good luck and enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.