Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede >

CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede

Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Spike

Default CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede

Well, I got my CZ 550 full stock in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I post my first impressions after taking it to the range. But some background first...

I sold my Ruger M77 Ultralite in 30-06 last spring and I've been looking for a new deer gun since. The boss gave her approval on a new gun, so I started my quest for the perfect deer rifle for me. My local gun dealer special ordered a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 direct from CZ-USA and it took almost 7 long weeks to get the gun.

Why CZ 550? After talking to my local gun dealer and researching on the net, I concluded that the CZ 550 is a very accurate and well made rifle that doesn't cost mega$$$. I paid $629 + tax.

Why full stock? There is just something about a full stock that aesthetically pleases my eye. Here's a picture of my gun: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...S/IMG_0836.jpg

In addition the CZ 550 is very well balanced in the full stock version and comes up nicely into shooting position. I am average build at 5'10" and 165 lbs. The full stock version has iron sights, which I wanted. You can attach a scope if you'd like, but I like mine just the way it is with the open sights. A special bonus is the set trigger, which reduces the trigger pull to less than 2 lbs (?).

Why 6.5x55? Quite frankly, I was initially looking at the more common 30-06 and .308 calipers. However, with my Nordic roots, the guns mannlicher stock and Mauser action, I came to the realization, that the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would be a perfect fit for the gun. In addition, the more I researched this caliper, the more excited I became with it's reported accuracy, moderate recoil and proven killing power. I also liked to get a less common caliper. Why? Because I could.

So, yesterday I took the rifle to the local indoor range and shot three different ammos (six shots each) through it. When looking at the results, remember that I am not an experienced rifle shooter (I've shot maybe two dozen rounds in the past 15 years...) Here are the results (all shots are from 50 yards on a bench with open sights and set trigger):

With Swedish surplus ammo: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...S/IMG_0832.jpg
With Sellier&Bellot: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...S/IMG_0833.jpg
With Prvi Partizan: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...S/IMG_0834.jpg

Based on the results I conclude the following:
1. I am tickled with the accuracy of the rifle!!!
2. I need to adjust the sights (the gun is shooting a little below and a tad to the left).
3. Maybe the best results were obtained with the Prvi ammo (tightest groups). The reason I shot the other ammo more at bullseye, was because I adjusted my POI after Prvi. The Prvi also gave the cleanest bullet hole, indicating that the bullet was traveling perfectly horizontal through the paper.

All in all, I am very pleased with my choice. This will be a gun that I will keep for the rest of my life, if it continues to perform as well as it did on my initial try.

Next on my shopping list is to find a sling that will complement the gun. Any suggestions are appreciated! Be safe out there...

Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede

That is a sweet looking package. I myself have always like the look of the full length stock, and also know of the beautiful balance that they can offer. And, the 6.5 X 55 in a modern day action should be capable of an extremely wide range of purposes.
I know you said you'd like to leave it as is, but if I were ever to obtain a beautiful package like yours I'd scope it with some quick release rings/mounts so switching back and forth to the irons or scope could be achieved.
Congrats on a beautiful rifle.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is a very sharp rifle and it looks like it will shoot too!! Cool!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a great rifle and a very underrated cartridge.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Great looking rifle. How is the set trigger? It seems like a very interesting idea. Please let us know what kind of groups you get with a scope.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too like the looks of the full stock CZ and have considered getting one...But I need another rifle like I need another hole in the head.....

I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3 x 62... It's very accurate and the single set trigger is slick, especially for working up loads on the bench...The trigger is easily adjustable for both single stage pull and the set function..You simply push the trigger forward to set it, and then you have a nice light pull weight...

I think the CZ rifles are a very good value...I've never talked to anyone who has got an inaccurate one, regardless of the chambering...My 9.3 x 62 produces varmint rifle accuracy, with 250 grain Barnes X bullets, no less...
Old 12-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the comments. As Pygmy says, you just push the trigger forward to a click and the trigger pull weight is reduced significantly. The pull weight is so light, that I would be very careful handling the gun after the trigger is set, it goes off very easy.

In addition, there is a screw close to the trigger, which you can use to adjust the trigger. Simple, just the way it should be.

I did forgot to mention, that one of the reasons I decided to buy the CZ now, is that I have a hunch the prices might go up significantly in 2008 due to the strong euro vs. US dollar.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hehehehe...Yeah...The set trigger might be a little "dicey" to use under high adrenaline situations...That's why I don't generally use it in normal hunting situations... Some hunters with a calmer demeanor might make good use of it in the woods, however......

Fortunately, the single stage pull is very easy to adjust to acrisp weight of whatever you want... The manual tells you how to do it..
Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM

Normally, the first thought that comes to my mind when I hear full stock is yuck. But man, that is one sharp looking rifle. CZ did an excellent job with it. Congrats on the neww boomstick. You sure picked a nice one in a great caliber. And good shooting too. Remember, practice is the key. Congrats again, good luck, and good shooting.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Spike

That is a very nice rifle. I always loved the mannlicher full stocks. My brother has a Ruger 77 RSI with the full stock. A nice handy rifle for sure. Just remember for hunting most states have laws about what ammo you can use. I know in New York you cannot use military ball or full metal jacketed bullets. Check your laws before you go hunting.

Quick Reply: CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 Swede

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.