Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 DRT Frangible Ammo >

DRT Frangible Ammo

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

DRT Frangible Ammo

Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default DRT Frangible Ammo

Does anyone know the specifics on DRT ammo? They are starting to advertise on some of the hunting shows.

It is another company promising instant kills with properly placed shots. I guess the bullets do not make an exit wound.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DRT Frangible Ammo

Check out this thread. I dont know exact specifics on any of it, and have not seen any for sale.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2487521
Old 12-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I searched the wrong forum.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:07 PM

"A leathal powder of particles...."

That is what they say in one of those videos. Now, I don't want to eat any metal powder, so I guess you just throw away all the meat around the bullet wound?

I also wonder if the bullet will "splash" if you were to hit the shoulder bone.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Holly Smokes! This is what a supposed DRT rep wrote on another site:

"You are correct in that there will be some meat loss. But, (and I know this is not PC) you can do like many of the hunters that are using our ammo are doing and that is make a gut shot. The animal is still down right where you hit him and the wound cavity is contained in the gut area with no damage to harvestable meat. Believe me when I say we have tested this on everything out there from pigs to Elk and Grizzlies. If anyone wishes they can contact me off forum and I can send them pictures of game taken with our ammunition, I will include yardage, caliber and weight of the round with each picture. On a Whitetail vital shot our 150 grain 308 will enter 2 inches and disperse in the next 6 to 8 inches leaving a permanent wound cavity that will be about 4 1/2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. One thing I want to mention up front about our ammo, we have the ability to offer custom rounds. By this I mean that because of the nature of our composite we can control the depth of penetration before dispersion byadjusting the thickness of the waffled tin cap. Proportionately, we can control the amount of dispersion by adjusting the mix of the powders. We can take the same 150 grain 308 load and by adjusting the mix of the powders and adjusting the thickness of the tin cap we can have the round penetrate 3 inches and disperse in the next 4-6 inches leaving a wound cavity that would be 3 -4 inches in diameter and only 6 inches in length. So, in essence what we have developed is a round that can be taylored to the specific hunter's needs. For example, with all of our rifle rounds and slight adjustments there is ZERO deflection through glass. We have shown this time and again and have just returned from New Hampshire where we performed a live fire demo for the American Sniper Association on that very capability. My email is [email protected] or [email protected] ."
Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 PM

But, (and I know this is not PC) you can do like many of the hunters that are using our ammo are doing and that is make a gut shot. The animal is still down right where you hit him and the wound cavity is contained in the gut area with no damage to harvestable meat.

The world is full of idiots, and this statement just proves it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

I saw their booth at a gun show recently. I didn't understand how a bullet that is less dense than lead and disintegrates on impact would be better for hunting or self-defense.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I understand what they're talking about, but its not for me. The bullet essentulally explodes after penetration, therefore releasing all of its energy into its target. But with only so much penetration, I think longrifle is right, I beleive if you hit a bone directly; it would just splash. This would leave the deer with a broken leg, a gaping wound, and you would never find the deer. I will admit that this would be a fun varmint round, but thats it.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, thee terminal action of this bullet sounds alot like what the front half of the Nosler Partition bullet is supposed to do-essentially expand explosivelyon penetration into the body cavity, leaving the rear section intact to continue penetrating. I suppose thefragments of the front core remain larger than mere dust. But they have to spread out and leave lead shards all over...........
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

A word of warning. If you send an email to the address I posted above you will end up on a mailing list for DRT info.

I did receive some info that I thought was interesting though. Check out the price for a box of shells. Almost $4 per shell for some calibers.

Rifle calibers
Caliber/Weight/Cost per box of 20 Cartridges/Cost per box of 50 bullets for reloading
.22387$24.50 plus shipping$22.50 plus shipping
243107$25.00 plus shipping$23.50 plus shipping
270130$27.00 plus shipping$26.50 plus shipping
30/06150$60.00 plus shipping$45.00 plus shipping
30/06175$77.00 plus shipping$47.50 plus shipping
30/30SAME AS 30/06
308SAME AS 30/06
300 H&H175$77.00 plus shipping$47.50 plus shipping
300 H&H200$87.00 plus shipping$50.00 plus shipping
300 WinMagSAME AS 300 H&H
300 WBYSAME AS 300 H&H

Pistol Calibers
Caliber/Weight/Cost per box of 50 cartridges
9mm124$45.00 plus shipping
38 SPC124$45.00 plus shipping
40 SW180$47.50 plus shipping
45 ACP185$50.00 plus shipping

Quick Reply: DRT Frangible Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.