Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Rifle Owners >

Savage Rifle Owners

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Rifle Owners

Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage Rifle Owners

I'm in the market for a Varmint rifle (22.250). What model do you have? I am currently looking at the Model 12 BVSS, Model 12 Varmintor Low Profile,
Model 12 Long Range Precision Varmintor. Not sure which one though. I plan on using the rifle for fox, coyote and target. Looking for your input, pros and cons.
Your advise will be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Savage Rifle Owners

I don't think you can go wrong with either..
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage_12BVSS.htm
Old 12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

i have a lefthanded savage mod 12. i changed the stock to a richards microfit about a year after i bought it. it shoots under 1/2 in groups at 100yds. i really like this gun. mine doesn't have the accuatrigger. i adjust the stock triggers myself and if done right they work well.

i have a 8x32x50 swift on it.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Had a 12FVSS in 7mm mag topped with vxIII 4x14x50 that was an awesome shooter. Factory ammo 1" 200yrd groups were common. I sold the gun because it justfelt so odd to me. I am now thinking about building a savage with an aftermarket stock.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I checked out Richards stocks..nice. I might change mine too
Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought the Savage Model 12FV in .22-250. The first time out shooting I was able to shoot just a little over 1/4 in 3 shot groups at 100 yards with Federals 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip. I love this gun, it is my first heavy barreled varmint rifle, if i knew what i was missing all those years i would have traded up along time ago.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

i have a lefthanded savage mod 12. i changed the stock to a richards microfit about a year after i bought it. it shoots under 1/2 in groups at 100yds. i really like this gun. mine doesn't have the accuatrigger. i adjust the stock triggers myself and if done right they work well.

i have a 8x32x50 swift on it.

Love that stock. Was it much work to fit and finish?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

glockman55
they come pretty rough,i ordered a 3/4 barrel channel which is what my barrel is at the smallest place and i opened it up with my dremel . the stocks look like they have been chopped out when you get one ,but it only took me a day to sand an fit mine. i put mine together after finishing and shot it figuring i'd go back and glassbed it later. it shot so well i never did bed it. the laminates are very stable anyway.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Thats the nices looking LH varmint I've seen. I am lh too and have a black stock Savage .223 with High COuntry 4-16x40 scope. All box stock but I sure like shooting it. Have owned Savages since 1964 and only had one bad one.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look at the new rifles offered with Savage's new target single shot action. They make both the 12F/TR in 308 with a right bolt/right port and the 12 F Class in 6.5-284 Norma also with right bolt/right port. Savage is also offering the action alone with either a .223 or standard (.473) bolt face and you can get it with a right bolt/left port configuration as well (nice for a loading and catching spent brass with a bolt action target gun). So if you really wanted to you could build your own rifle yourself. Shilen makes pre-threaded drop-in barrels for Savage rifles, and you could order a Richards Micro-Fit stock for it. All you'd need is a barrel vise, a barrel nut wrench, and a set of headspace gauges for your chose cartridge. But Savage does make a surprisingly good rifle for the price.

http://www.savagearms.com/12FTR.htm

http://www.savagearms.com/12f_class.htm

http://www.savagearms.com/TA_223_Bolt_Right.htm

Mike

Quick Reply: Savage Rifle Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.