HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Are Kimber Rifles IT. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/223731-kimber-rifles.html)

crimedog 12-21-2007 08:54 PM

Are Kimber Rifles IT.

I want a new rifle and quite frankly I onlywant the best. Usually it's a Remington and goes to the smith if I don't buy it from him.Are Kimber rifles really as good as it appears? Are the actions really Pre 64 Winchester designs or just maketing hype, kinda looking for something different from the model 700 collection I have. Trueth be told I would tear the barrel off the Kimber rifle and have it fitted with a heavier 280 barrel given my way. This year may be a great year for my fav smith the way I'm trolling the pawn shops for used cheep 700 actions

Lubricious 12-22-2007 03:22 AM

RE: Are Kimber Rifles IT.

I hear that they are nothing short of decent...in other words, stick with your Rems. I was dissapointed when I heard the poor reviews and Im going to check them out for myself today.

rats 12-22-2007 04:34 AM

I got a kimber 8400 this year and I love it. I have never spoken to anyone who really ownes a kimber who doesn't like it. I have rems and they are good rifles. No complaints on them. In my HMO the kimber is really a step up. Ask a reputable gunsmith/ dealer which they wouldchoose if theyhad to choose between the remington and the kimberand they will comfirm the kimber. The people I hear bashing kimbers are people who dont have one. (rifle envy is a terrible thing)

rats 12-22-2007 04:36 AM

Oh yeah, if you do get a kimber dont take the barrel off untill you shoot it. Their barrels are good(made in house).

stalkingbear 12-22-2007 04:37 AM

If you want the best,and are going to rebarrel it anyway,just go with a custom rifle the 1st place and have EXACTLY what you want.

retrieverman 12-22-2007 05:26 AM

From the Kimbers that I have handled, the bolts were sloppy and rough, but the overall gun felt decent in my hands. As far as performance, I have read many mixed reviews. Some love'em some hate'em. You be the judge.

crimedog 12-22-2007 07:24 AM

The Kimber line just seems limited in it's cal's.

oldelkhunter 12-22-2007 07:28 AM

I want a new rifle and quite frankly I onlywant the best. Usually it's a Remington and goes to the smith if I don't buy it from him.Are Kimber rifles really as good as it appears? Are the actions really Pre 64 Winchester designs or just maketing hype, kinda looking for something different from the model 700 collection I have. Trueth be told I would tear the barrel off the Kimber rifle and have it fitted with a heavier 280 barrel given my way. This year may be a great year for my fav smith the way I'm trolling the pawn shops for used cheep 700 actions
If by IT you want a rifle that:
[ol][*]Has average fit and finish[*]One of the roughest bolts I have ever experienced[*]Has inconsistent finishes on it's fiberglass guns[*]Has varying tolerances on their bolts..work the action on two similar models and you'll see.[*]Has Moulded in Metal components except for the action and bolt body[*]Action that is advertised as pillar and glass bedded but not to the action that you buy.[*]Has no QA department that actually checks for quality. If they do they need to be fired.[*]Has Wood blanks that warp at the foreend(very common occurence)[/ol]

In short I think they have 500 dollar quality for a 1000 dollar price.

Oh yeah, if you do get a kimber dont take the barrel off untill you shoot it. Their barrels are good(made in house).
Not to rain on your parade but Remington,Winchester,Ruger make their barrels in house as do others.

The people I hear bashing kimbers are people who dont have one. (rifle envy is a terrible thing)

Yes Rifle Envy is a terrible thing but my credit card statements showing the purchase of these rifles tells me what a mistake it was.

In short Kimber owners are frustrated people that never purchased or trieda Sako because if they did the Kimber would have been left at the store.:D I had a Sako prior to purchasing Kimbers and I just gave them a try to see if all the hype was worth it.

jeepkid 12-22-2007 10:14 AM

Just spend a little more upfront and get a Cooper M52;)

TimberCreek 12-22-2007 10:51 AM

Best thing to do is go check them out and compare, you will find thatSAKO istop of the line.