HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Those Nice "friendly" Wolves (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/223726-those-nice-friendly-wolves.html)

DM 12-21-2007 08:00 PM

Those Nice "friendly" Wolves

http://www.ktva.com/topstory/ci_7773269

Wolves become increasingly violent towards humans, pets
By Andrea Gusty, CBS 11 News Reporter
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2007 07:35:29 PM AKST

One dog is killed and one dog in the hospital-- all because of two wolf attacks in Eagle River, only a few hours apart. Fish and Game officials say the same pack of wolves may be responsible for both attacks.
The first attack came Thursday morning when a dog was killed while on a chain in its very own backyard. The second attack came less than a mile away upon three women and their dogs who were running on a well-used stretch of road.
It was quick, so quick the three friends didn't know what was happening until it was too late.
"They were so quiet; they just came right up on us; they were quick. The dogs had no clue. They didn't smell them or hear them--nothing," said Eagle River resident, Alycia Beiergrohslein.

A pack of at least seven wolves surrounded the three women and their dogs as they jogged just on Artillery Road. The lead wolves came within feet, circling the women as they tried to get away.
"I was rainbowing my pepper spray, and they fell back a little bit. But as soon as we would turn our backs to try to go, they would run up on us, and we would turn around and start screaming again, and I would spray my pepper spray," said Eagle River resident, Camas Barkemeyer.
"We just kept pulling, and they were so big. And they started howling; and they were circling us. And it got us really panicked, and we kept screaming," said Beiergrohslein.
Beiergrohslein, Barkemeyer and their friend were more than a mile and a half away from their cars. All of their dogs were leashed because they had read the warnings about the other wolf attacks. The trio were careful not to run; the women walked backwards, screaming to keep the animals away, and trying to keep everyone safe.
"I love my dog with all my heart, but I can't jeopardize my friends. And if that's what they wanted, I didn't know whether (crying) to leave him," said Beiergrohslein.
The women held tight to the leashes, and were able to keep the wolves at bay, but not before the pack attacked

Barkemeyer's American bulldog, Buddy.
"My dog was attacked by the wolves, three wolves. He fought his way out as I was pulling," said Barkemeyer.
The women weren't physically hurt. Buddy had to have surgery to fix his gashes and bites left behind by the wolves. But Barkemeyer worries the pack could attack again--next time, only worse.
"They were not afraid of us. And I'm afraid that if I was out here by myself, they would attack me. They were not afraid," said Barkemeyer.
Wildlife experts say wolves are smart animals and that they learn quickly. This means the pack will likely get worse before it gets better.
"If they figure out that dogs are easy to kill, and good food for them, then they can just come to the conclusion that there is a lot more dogs than moose, and 'let's just start eating the dogs for now.' I'm not sure they have quite reached that point, but they are working on that concept right now," said Rick Sinnott of the Alaska Department Of Fish and Game.
Sinnott tells CBS 11 News these attacks happened 13 years ago with the very same pack. The wolves were only stopped when some key pack members were trapped legally and killed. Fish and Game is now encouraging the military to scare the wolves from the area with rubber bullets to pepper balls. In the meantime, they say keep out of the area and keep dogs inside whenever possible

James B 12-21-2007 08:04 PM

RE: Those Nice "friendly" Wolves

I know in our area the mountain lions take their toll on pets. To a lesser extent coyotes do to. I can imagine wolves may be the worst.

c j 12-21-2007 08:18 PM

wolf persuader: http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

Carpmaster 12-22-2007 01:00 PM

Wolves are definitely a problem....

eldeguello 12-23-2007 09:08 AM

Where I used to live in upstate New York, the same kind of thing was happening, except the predators were feral domestic dogs. These varmints are even worse, because of their familiarity with people. They have no fear of man at all, and wil come right into a town or village and eat people's dogs and cats. Sometimes attack people too! Imagine seeing a pack containing Fido, Buster, Rufus, Brady, and Bowser chewing up your little Lhasa Apso!

DM 12-23-2007 04:35 PM

When i first moved to Alaska, i was hired to take care of the wild (and other wise) dog problem,i needed the money, soi did it. Dogs would pack up and even threaten people close to town, with two attacks happening.

When i was hired, i was told they didn't want to know how i would take care of the problem, just take care of it! Within a few months, i elimanted over 350 problem animials...

I dealt with wild dogs, coyotes and wolves all in the same way and it made me a pretty good shot on running animials... I bet you no one would ever be hired to do something like that again, not even in Alaska!

DM

Doe Dumper 12-23-2007 06:19 PM

Scare em away with pepper balls and rubber bullets? You gotta be ****in kidding me? You gotta love a liberal..only they would value a worthless pos mangy animal's life over a human life...

wyotimberghost 12-24-2007 12:37 AM

It's impossible for me to talk about wolves without getting angry. The federal government is over-stepping their bounds and it's past time that they turned control of the worthless muts over to the states. And they had better do it soon before the moose and elk herds are decimated. I saw one moose between Jackson and Dubois today where I used to see up to a dozen on the same drive before wolves were wrongfully re-introduced.

eldeguello 12-24-2007 06:58 AM

Once not too many years back, the New Mexico Sheep Growers' Association was having their annual meeting. As usual, it wasn't long before the boys got to discussing the problems of coyote predation, which was reaching epidemic proportions (the boys had just finished spending several years eliminating as many jackrabbits as possible. See, six jackrabbits eat as much grass as onecow!). Now that the coyotes had fewer rabbits to eat, their taste for sheep improved ("Eat more lamb 50,000,000 coyoteds can't be wrong!") and somethoing had to be done quick!

Poisoning was proposed, along with shooting, and several other possible alternative means for disposing of the coyot3e menace. Finally, a woman in the back stood up. She said "what you need to do is construct some coyote-proof fences. Then hold a big drive and drive all the coyotes into a corner of the fenced pasture where they can be captured, and CASTRATE them all."

There was total silence in the meeting hall for about ten seconds. You could have heard the proverbial pin drop. Then came a booming voice from one of the sheep men: "Ma'am, I just don't think you understand the problem! These here coyotes....they's a'EATIN' our sheep!!!!!!!!!"

oldelkhunter 12-24-2007 07:10 AM

It's impossible for me to talk about wolves without getting angry. The federal government is over-stepping their bounds and it's past time that they turned control of the worthless muts over to the states. And they had better do it soon before the moose and elk herds are decimated. I saw one moose between Jackson and Dubois today where I used to see up to a dozen on the same drive before wolves were wrongfully re-introduced.
Guy I know went on a back country hunt outside yellowstone..the hunting was pretty skimpy compared to previous years. 6 guys one 4 point Bull.