Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber.. >

Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Just got this rifle for my sister, looked like decent gun to shoot deer with. The only thing is that the guy that sold it to me didn't know diddly squat about it. Kind of strange, but anyway. There are no markings on the barell about caliber type, only a serial number. The serial reads 93265, there is a small "A" I believe before the numbers.

Here are some pics of the rifle. If anyone knows what caliber it is I would appreciate it!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

definently looks to be some type of Mauser....i never got around to learning enough about them to tell you what model, caliber it may be, or orgin it may be...but theres some mauser gurus around here that can help i bet...

i just carry the name (called myself Mauser06 because the first gun i ever bought with my own money was a Mauser in 3006...)
Old 12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can not tell enough from your two pictures. The gun looks like a Parker-Hale???
I would take it to a gunsmith & ask him.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My money is on it being a arisaka type-99in 7.7 Jap.

The grind marks on the receiverand inletting of the ejector are a dead giveaway, not to mention the groove on the left side of the receiver, and odd ejection port shape.

edit: the timing marks on the barrel and reciver indicate the original barrel is still in place. The barrel should be chrome lined. There is also a chance that it might be a type-38 in 6.5x50, but from the looks of the parts, I'm pretty sure its a type-99.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Uploading new pics as I am typing. If it makes any difference, I tried dropping a .270 round head first through the top of the barell and the round was too small, casing would go down the barell.

Next I tried a .30-06 round and it stopped about 1/8" before the casing starts. Stops about where it does on my Rem. 742 in .30-06, still I know there could be other possibilities..

Just want to be absolutely sure I have the right ammo before I go off shooting this thing. Especially my sister. Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 PM

More pics:

Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a type 99.

It looks like its horribly hacked though. The bolt is all buggered up and rewelded- I'd worry about the the heat treatment being wrecked by the reweld job as the the sporterization wasn't done by someone who had much skill and probably even less knowledge. I'd have a gunsmith check it out and possibly do a chamber cast in case the chambering was modified as well.

Sorry that I couldn't give you better news[>:]
Old 12-21-2007, 01:59 PM

So these things came out in the 7.7 and possibly the 6.5, correct? I will have to have a smith look at it before I do anything with it. Thanks for the help though!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep 7.7 and 6.5, yours is a 7.7 if a .270 bullet will fit all the way into the muzzle.

Quick Reply: Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.