Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber.. >

Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

Old 12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Help ID-ing rifle and caliber..

If your not butchering a collector piece ,Timney used to make a nice replacement trigger for both models.....................Harold
Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ir655

More pics:

As you can see in several of these photos, this Weaver scope has 2 removable covers on the bolt side of the rifle. The rearward smaller cap is the one for changing from the lower power to the higher power. The 2 KV's that I have both can change from the lower power of 3X to the high setting of 5X. Though there is a bit of a turn to get from the one setting to the other, there is no gradual increase from the 3X to the 5X, it becomes blurry as you leave the 3X setting and then clears up when you arrive at the end of the adjustment and get to the 5X. I leave mine on 5X unless I'm in a real tight spot with shots under 40 yards in the swamp. Then I prefer the lower setting with a little more field of view for picking out shots between the cedars.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 44 was already butchered when I acquired it, and I considered trying to restore it for giggles, but when I started pricing the parts I'd need (and it was considerable) I said the heck with it. I prefer to make it a shooter for fun.
I could probably sell it as is for a couple hundred, but I'd rather spend $200.00 just to have a Japanese action as a hunting rifle.
The bolt was turned when I got it and the throat/chamber is eroded pretty bad, as I alluded to earlier I can chamber and shoot 6.5 X 54 MS rounds through it but the bore it self is also so rough that it isn't worth dealing with. I could sell the barrel as is with the original 44 rear sight and get some money. The front sight had been swapped out but it could be removed by a collector.
I also have acquired a 6.5 Arisaka barrel that was originally a long one, it has been cut to 20 ", turned to a sporter taper, and re-crowned. The bore is very good but I still need to cast the chamber to be sure what I have I got it off Ebay before they shut down their gun sales. I would probably re-cut the chamber to something with easily obtainable brass, like 6.5 X 55 (although I'm not sure of the longer Swede round fitting in the Japanese action).
I'm aware of the Timney with the safety, in fact I have it saved in my favorites on Midway ... they are currently priced at 74.99.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I have a 44, and it is a 6.5. Don't know if the 44's came in 7.7 also or not, but they definitely came in 6.5, at least one of them did!
No Type 44's were ever made in 7.7.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

The thing with going to a 6.5x55 is you would have to also alter the bolt face [larger] and perhaps widen the magazine well.Not really a big deal and I've seen Timney Arisaka triggers for less on E-Bay before.Iuse the 6.5x55 here in Canada for moose with 42gr /IMR 4350 and 160gr Hornady's I have yet to recover a slug.Deer can be penetrated lengthways great for jumpshooting them out of bedding areas! The .260 Rem should require simple rechambering and your good to go.Either way you can't lose.With that 20" pipe it will be pure poison on game in thick bush and a pleasure to carry.At least the 6.5 barrel will have the same thread size as the 7.7 on it now.Less piddling around for the gunsmith....................nice caliber........Harold
Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since my 44 was already in 6.5 Arisaka I might not have to alter the bolt face much if at all ... maybe the extractor. The Arisaka 6.5 rim measures .466 across (Hornady book) while the Swede 6.5 round measures.480 (Speer book). The bolt face may need a tweak, but not like what would be needed if I was going from a 7.7 bolt face to the 6.5.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

The thing with going to a 6.5x55 is you would have to also alter the bolt face [larger] and perhaps widen the magazine well.Not really a big deal and I've seen Timney Arisaka triggers for less on E-Bay before.Iuse the 6.5x55 here in Canada for moose with 42gr /IMR 4350 and 160gr Hornady's I have yet to recover a slug.Deer can be penetrated lengthways great for jumpshooting them out of bedding areas! The .260 Rem should require simple rechambering and your good to go.Either way you can't lose.With that 20" pipe it will be pure poison on game in thick bush and a pleasure to carry.At least the 6.5 barrel will have the same thread size as the 7.7 on it now.Less piddling around for the gunsmith....................nice caliber........Harold
Many a 6.5 Arisaka was rechambered to 6.5X.257 Roberts (.256 Spence Special). I don't believe a bolt-face alteration was required for this conversion. In addition, it could be rechambered to the standard 6.5X57mm Mauser round, which is very similar to the one made by necking up the .257 Roberts. The 6.5X57mm is a standard European factory cartridge.