Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Rifles >

Savage Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Rifles

Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: Savage Rifles

My father had an excellent Savage 11 in .22-250 and the accuracy was excellent. Savage rifels have, in general, I think a well deserved reputation for OOB accuracy.

When I was younger and shot a lot, I could place 3 shot groups at 100 yardsthat could be covered by a nickel. Absolutely amazing, the accuracy held up very well out to 400+ yards.

As regards the .243 as a whitetail round, while it doesn't have the bullet mass, the shock power alone is surely more than enough to kill? A 4000 FPS slug must hit like a freight train! Obviously if there's poor shot placement it won't be enough, but that's never the gun's fault be it a 7MM or a .243, it's the nut behind the stock that needs tightening in that case.

Grouse

Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: The Famous Grouse

My father had an excellent Savage 11 in .22-250 and the accuracy was excellent. Savage rifels have, in general, I think a well deserved reputation for OOB accuracy.

When I was younger and shot a lot, I could place 3 shot groups at 100 yardsthat could be covered by a nickel. Absolutely amazing, the accuracy held up very well out to 400+ yards.

As regards the .243 as a whitetail round, while it doesn't have the bullet mass, the shock power alone is surely more than enough to kill? A 4000 FPS slug must hit like a freight train! Obviously if there's poor shot placement it won't be enough, but that's never the gun's fault be it a 7MM or a .243, it's the nut behind the stock that needs tightening in that case.

Grouse
Your post reminded me that I am still going off my impression from 20 years ago when the bullet selection wasn't as deep and my dad did nothing but curse the round after he had a 21 point get away, lol. The only other guy I know currently using one is a horrible shot, I watched him go through 20 rounds trying to site his in before I finally intervened and had it sighted in within 4 shots and 1 of those was just a confirm shot. He was chasing single bullet holes, he just wouldn't listen to me about triangulating the shot. After he saw how it was done he finally understood, and I also think he built up a little resentment for me even though he asked me to sight it in for him. I guess in his mind I made him look bad, who knows, who cares. [8D]
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen a savage that wasn't extremely accurate!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

The .243 Win will takeany deer in NA. There are 2 main things to remember whenusing the .243 Win for deer:
1.) Choose the correct bullet and bullet weight. Don't use a varmint bullet or a duel (varmint/deer) purpose bullet. If you reload, usethe betterpenetrating bullets like the Speer Grand Slam (100gr), the Nosler Partition (100gr), BarnesTSX (85gr), Scirocco II (90gr), and the likes.If you use factory ammo, stick to 100gr loads or loads that offer the bullets listed above.
2.) Pick your shot and shot placement carefully. It is critical that the shot placement be precise, especially with large bodied deer. Don't try to break major bones or shoot thruthe shoulders. A double lung or heart shot with a .243Win is devestating and will result in a clean kill, with short recovery.

The Savage is a great rifle.No frills, no bells,and no whistles. Just a accurate, rugged, and dependable rifle.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 PM

stop with the bullet listings,the man just needs to shoot coreloks

100grain pill will do a hurting on those NE deer no matter what they say ive shot 150lb deer3year old deer that dont kick after a 100grain pill gose threw the top of the lungs

100 grain coreloks

.243win

Old 12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Not all .243 Winnie's like the 100gr Remington Coreloks

He will have to experiment with loads to findthat his particular rifle shoots accurately. If his rifle likes them and shoots them accurately enough to satisfy him, then great. If not he'll have to shoot a different load his rifle likes.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I have never seen a savage that wasn't extremely accurate!
ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

... But the modern Savage is a damned fine rifle, my buddies rifles are all .5 MOA's.
I just got back from the range with my Savage 11F in 7mm-08. My best group was just under 2½", and the worst was well over 3½". This was with 5 different kinds of factory ammo. Today's groups were the best this rifle has shot so far.

I realize that, according theaccounts I read around here,I seem to be a statistical outlier. Still, I figured I needed to voice my experiences.I plan to contact the company, & see what they have to tell me.

FC
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

.243win

rem coreloks rock!
i shoot them in my 30-06, .270 and .308
never had a problem with them that wasn't my own fault.
had my first experience with a 243. i watched a buddy of mine shoot three deer this year. i was pretty impressed. i might have to add one to my collection.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I posted earlier...but failed to mention, if you wanna pull double duty for varmits and deer my vote goes to the 25-06....
Old 12-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Savage Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.