Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammo prices...Yikes >

Ammo prices...Yikes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo prices...Yikes

Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo prices...Yikes

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

What's the reason ammo prices are going up?
Metal prices keep going up, regulation on lead, shipping costs have gone up do to hazardous materials regulations. And a lot of the suppliers are jumping on the bandwagon and using these reasons as a reason of thier own to pad the prices that they pass along a bit more.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

therenot going to get into office or atleast i hope not if they do ammo will be the least of our worrys
ORIGINAL: srwshooter

another thing to consider ,i look for democrates to get in office ,and they may make it harder to powder in the future.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

one word guys just one word to explain the ammo cost
WAR we are fighting two of them
look at history when were fighting wars ammo gun gas all metal prices and most other stuff we use in the us go up during world war 2 everything went up Vietnam everything went up Korea and when the cold war was over ammo and gun price went down because of all the surplus from the us and Russia

when the wars are over the prices will go down
if the wars end the way things are going were headed toward ww3 unless a Dem gets into office then we are just headed toward a world with out the US
Old 12-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

For those who keep asking why ammo prices keep going up, I explained it....

Metal prices. The war and some tightened mining BS and China controlling all tungsten mining, etc etc etc...
Old 12-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just saw the alltime high amount charged for a 30-06 cartridge(you know the one that isn't good enough for anything anymore and is a has been) Federal Premium Vital Shok 180 grain MRX bullet. 69.99 at you guessed it my local Gander(if I wore a mask if would be a thief)Mountain. I almost pulled over one of the knowledgeable sales staff when I saw that but I said to self Nah you don't want to drive your Blood pressure any higher.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

look at history when were fighting
wars ammo gun gas all metal prices and most other stuff we use in the us go up during world war 2 everything went up Vietnam everything went up Korea and when the cold war was over ammo and gun price went down because of all the surplus from the us and Russia

I don't believe this to be true in this case.

The main culprit in ammo prices is the price of copper and lead. Lead prices have increased dramatically, from about $500 USD per US ton in 1998, to about $2500 per ton today. And in 1996/early 97 in particular, lead prices spiked at almost $4000 per ton!

Copper prices have followed the same track. On this date in 1998, CU was selling for about $1600 per ton. Today it closed at $6,629 per ton in London.

Both lead and copper are common industrial materials. This issue of the impact of the Iraq war's impact on these commodity prices is practically zero. I can't find an exact figure, but muntions manufacturing does not even appear as one of the top 100 industries that consume copper. At a guess, I'd say on a fraction of a fraction of the world's CU supply goes into ammo every year.

Like oil, the prices are rising because the demand is rising. China's oil consumption doubled in the last 3 years. There are predictions it could double again in the next year and a half. It's not the suppy going down, it's the amount of demand chasing the same supply.

Grouse

Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ot sure about ton price but the local scrap yard is giving 1 dollar a pound for cobber which is double what it was a year ago
ORIGINAL: The Famous Grouse

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

look at history when were fighting
wars ammo gun gas all metal prices and most other stuff we use in the us go up during world war 2 everything went up Vietnam everything went up Korea and when the cold war was over ammo and gun price went down because of all the surplus from the us and Russia

I don't believe this to be true in this case.

The main culprit in ammo prices is the price of copper and lead. Lead prices have increased dramatically, from about $500 USD per US ton in 1998, to about $2500 per ton today. And in 1996/early 97 in particular, lead prices spiked at almost $4000 per ton!

Copper prices have followed the same track. On this date in 1998, CU was selling for about $1600 per ton. Today it closed at $6,629 per ton in London.

Both lead and copper are common industrial materials. This issue of the impact of the Iraq war's impact on these commodity prices is practically zero. I can't find an exact figure, but muntions manufacturing does not even appear as one of the top 100 industries that consume copper. At a guess, I'd say on a fraction of a fraction of the world's CU supply goes into ammo every year.

Like oil, the prices are rising because the demand is rising. China's oil consumption doubled in the last 3 years. There are predictions it could double again in the next year and a half. It's not the suppy going down, it's the amount of demand chasing the same supply.

Grouse