Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ammo prices...Yikes >

Ammo prices...Yikes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo prices...Yikes

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ammo prices...Yikes

Their ammo prices are sometimes competitive, but many times they're10-25% higher. You really have to know what the price is at other places or you'll get ripped off. Luckily, Sportsman's Warehouse has moved in literally across theroad, sothere is now another option and hopefullythe competition will inject a little reality factor intothe prices at Gander.

There were rumors about a Sportsmen warehouse moving in about an hour from my home and I think they would hurt the local Ganders..
Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whileplacing an order at Natchez shooting supply todayI noticed they have an ammo price increase warning(5-25% price increase) to take effect in January 2008. http://www.natchezss.com/
Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 PM

One angle to consider is that ammo keeps pretty well, and probably will never get cheaper. Buy or load a lifetime supply, and sit there and smile while everyone else bitches.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM

This is exactly why I reload and cast a lot of my own bullets
Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have been seeing this coming for over a year...I bought a case of CoreLokts from WalMart for my .243 at $13.88 a box last year...They have gone up to $14.24...Part of the problem as well is that .260, it costs more to set up the line to load just a few boxes...A more common caliber will save you money because of the economy of scale...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The metal market has been real crazy the last year and a half or so....

Some retailers are just capitalizing on that, some aren't.....As far as manufacturers go it seems that remington is passing the most cost on...where you see it the most is in super premium non - toxics....tungsten has gone out of this world in price.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift
One angle to consider is that ammo keeps pretty well, and probably will never get cheaper. Buy or load a lifetime supply, and sit there and smile while everyone else bitches.
Sadly, I have to agree. I think it's like the price of gas and diesel, we may as well embrace the suck because the good old days of sub-$2 a gallon gas are gone, gone, gone.

I've started buying reloading components in lots of 1000 ormore when it comes to stuff like bullets and primers. Since I handload, I wouldn't go so far as to stockpile loaded ammo, but the components are worth it. It doesn't take a lot of space to store 10,000 bullets, so why not?

I figure if I don't use them, I can always sell what's left, I mean it's not like the market for .223 bullets is going to dry up. Or brass, there's almost always going to be a market for brass.

Powder is one where I'm not going to stock up too much because I like to play with different loads. If I know I'm going out prarie dog shooting, I sometimes will buy a bigger jug of one kind of powder because I'll use a good part of it just reloading the ammo that I shot. Beyond that I don't see any reason to keep a ton of powder around.

Grouse

Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

another thing to consider ,i look for democrates to get in office ,and they may make it harder to powder in the future.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 AM

Seems like every shooting or outdoor catalog that sells ammo has a disclaimer about the price of ammo going up.

Glad I started reloading but now it's time to get another press and start loading for rifles too.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

What's the reason ammo prices are going up?

Quick Reply: Ammo prices...Yikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.