Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Guns and loads for Africa. >

Guns and loads for Africa.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Guns and loads for Africa.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Guns and loads for Africa.

Dang it!!!!! I thought this was a gun forum and not about whitetail hunting. I didn't get that definition when I googled Guns. I ended up with: A gun is a common name given to an object that propels another object or projectile. The projectile is generally fired through a hollow tube known as the gun's barrel. I wonder what dictionary you used or what search engine?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM

THere is no double in 505 (Gibbs, I presume you meant). And leave all those TEddy Roosevelt wannbe rifles at home, your PH will thank you. ANd YEs I know about Lupo so don;t ask.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I went to Africa, I'd be solely in pursuit of plains game. No real interest in the dangerous stuff. I'd take my .243 Win. for smaller stuff like Gazelle and Impala, etc., I'd take my .30-06 with some 165 gr. Barnes Triple -X or similar heavily constructed bullet for mid size stuff like Gemsbok, and maybe buy myself a .338 Fed. for the slightly larger stuff like Kudu or Sable. Unfortunately.... It'll probably never happen, unless I win the lottery.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Spike

I'd say a 12 ga. with 3" Lightfield slugs - you see what they do to deer!!!????
Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, I would be more interested in darting in Africa. I would love to dart a white rhino! Still get the thrill of the hunt, get to take pictures with the animal, take measurements for the mount,and when all is said and done the animal gets up and walks away. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I'm just not into killing something I'm not going to put into my freezer, and no matter what you kill in Africa, you can't take the meat home. Not downing anyone for trophy hunting in Africa, just not something I'm into personally. And, yes I realize that the meat of anything you kill in Africa is put to good use, that's not the point for me.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Win. M70 safari, 416 rem mag. Load up both Barnes banded solids and Swift A frame soft points. Thatwould take care of all the dangerous stuff.

For plains game I would take aRem 700, 300 ultra.Its a bittoo large for duikers, and impala's etc.But, its also a bit small for an eland. It would handle the long rangesoften needed to harvest a gemsbok.All in all I think its a good compromise.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ruger makes a 416 Rigby, but looking at the ballistics of the Rigby and Rem Mag the data is contradictiry.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 PM
FA
Fork Horn

I would use a 45-70 using Garretts 540 gr. hammerheads +P. This load will take any game in the world.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Ruger makes a 416 Rigby, but looking at the ballistics of the Rigby and Rem Mag the data is contradictiry...."
Go to Barnes #3 and you'll have the straight scoop; the 416 Rigby can be loaded to near 416 Weatherby levels; in fact hold a Rigby round and a 416 or 460 Weatherby round in your hand and you'll see where ole Roy got the idea.

Ammo manufacturers? They won't go past the old 1911 cordite specs.
Handloaders? Oh yeah, the Barnes data let's you really stretch her legs, the old girl has a lot of life in her.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

For plains game I would take aRem 700, 300 ultra.Its a bittoo large for duikers, and impala's etc.But, its also a bit small for an eland. It would handle the long rangesoften needed to harvest a gemsbok.All in all I think its a good compromise.
I have been researching this for about a year and have almost decided to do it this summer ..have to wait and see what the taxman and company bonus come my way. 2 outfitters I have spoken to 1 uses a 300 win mag and the other uses a 300 wsm. no 2 has a photo album and one picture of a very dead lion killed with a 300 wsm Winchester 70 classic. Consult someone over at AR or the outfitter in question. I would imagine most hunters over there would just be thrilled with a Client showing up with a Rem 700 in 300 ultra.