HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   OK another opinion question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/222677-ok-another-opinion-question.html)

Javey 12-14-2007 06:08 PM

OK another opinion question

OK.......lookin for ya'lls opinion...on two guns
If you had the choice which would it be..
a Savage 111 in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 429.00
or
A Remington 700SPS in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 469.00

?????????.........I can't decide...???
Oh Ya....the Savage is a 22 inch barrel the Rem is a 24........The Savage actually has a nice blue job...the Rem is a teflon finish..both are systhetic stocks...neither comw with a scope....but I go that covered....the gun will be another for me and for my daughter to shoot also....

HELP...

Thanks

rgmill 12-14-2007 06:46 PM

RE: OK another opinion question

My vote = remington

oldelkhunter 12-14-2007 06:48 PM

Oh Ya....the Savage is a 22 inch barrel the Rem is a 24........The Savage actually has a nice blue job...the Rem is a teflon finish..both are systhetic stocks...neither comw with a scope....but I go that covered....the gun will be another for me and for my daughter to shoot also....
Neither. BTW the Rem does not have a teflon finish..it is a bead blasted blue.

Purchase a SPS SS gun with a floorplate, the mag version is a royal PITA and if you ever decide to upgrade the gun and rebarrel it to another cartridge there will be problems with that DBM.

Retaks 12-14-2007 06:54 PM

I say the Remington.

BarnesX.308 12-14-2007 06:58 PM

Tough one without actually handling the two guns. I'd go with Savage for accuracy and Remington for fit/finish. It also depends on whether you're looking for velocity or easy handling. The 24" bbl might get you another 50 or so feet/seconds. The 22" will be easier to swing around in the thick stuff.

I'd say you can't go wrong with both, except for..............I hate detachable magazines. I don't like the way they feed and I don't like the stock having a removable chunk. Hinged floor plate all the way. I'd take a top loading magazine with no floor plate over a detachable magazine, actually.

Carpmaster 12-14-2007 07:44 PM

I think the savage for sure,they arent the prettiest but sure handle nice and drop the bullets in there!

Javey 12-14-2007 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies....either one of these will be my first witha DBM.....but so for you guys don't seem to happy with them...hhhmmmm....
I was looking at a Steyr Mountain which also had a DBM but we couldnt' get right on the price..another $100.00 and i could have a new one...plus it was missing some small things...stock spacers and swivels that come with all Steyr's
So i started looking down other trails.....got the itch....I'm sure ya'll know how that goes..!!!......just won't be happy untill its scratched..!!!

1SHOT_1KILL 12-14-2007 10:15 PM

Take the Savage, you won't regret it. Take the Savageand then take the $$ you save and apply it to a quality scope.TheSavage will more than likely shot better than the Remington, right out the box. The Accu-trigger is light years ahead of the standard Remington-Walker trigger. I have not had the opportunity to evaluate the new X-Mark trigger, but I would say that it would have really be something else,to come close to the Accu-Trigger.

DaveC 12-14-2007 10:49 PM

I'm tossing around the Weather Warrior vs.SPSSS as well.
I had my mind made up on the SPS Varmint, but nobody seems to have them & I guess Remington doesn't want to keep the shelves stocked.

I'll keep watching this thread, the no love for the DB magazine has raised my eye as well.

skeeter 7MM 12-14-2007 10:50 PM

Remington is my preference

As far as savage's go personally do not like:
-the tupperware stocks savage use, "flismy" is the best word I can think of.
- I do not like the feel of the Accutrigger.(have never had a problem getting a stock remington trigger to my liking in pull, creep and travel.)
- Tang safety

I will say they are accurate, good functioning rifles and their DM is pretty slick.

Best option is pick the one that feels the best to you.

G/L:)

stalkingbear 12-15-2007 12:51 AM

Browning a-bolt!!!:D

eldeguello 12-15-2007 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Javey

OK.......lookin for ya'lls opinion...on two guns
If you had the choice which would it be..
a Savage 111 in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 429.00
or

HELP...

Thanks
Neither. I don't like detachable magazines. Detachable magazines are too easy to lose! I see people all the time looking for magazines for the old-style Browning BLR's, Win. M88-100's, Rem. M8-M81's, etc.

johnnybravoo77 12-15-2007 07:54 AM

Not to mention if you do lose one of those mags, they tend not to be real cheap!

retrieverman 12-15-2007 08:31 AM

Steyr!!!

DM 12-15-2007 08:51 AM

I also prefer a Rem. 700 over the Savage....

Some notes here: Long ago, in fact long before Rem. ever made 700's with DBM i converted one of my 700's to DBM. I think it was a waste on a 700 "hunting" rifle... And i don't like it...

I like 22" bbls over 24" bbl.

I'm not fond of the accutrigger at all. I also have never had a 700 trigger that couldn't be adjusted to anything i wanted.

From the guns that i've looked at lately, i would buy a Rem. 700 "mountain" rifle...

DM

Javey 12-15-2007 09:39 AM

Yea..Retrieverman.....I hear ya...........I did like that Steyr...but as stated, after some resaerch and talking to you guys we just couldn't get right on the money...I have not actually talked to CDNN yet but I have checked thier cat for prices..but with shipping and taxes plus the FFL fee.........So I started checking on other options...

retrieverman 12-15-2007 10:32 AM

There are many arguments over what I am about to say, but IN MY OPINION, it is really tough to find an American made rifle that has the fit, finish, and function of a European made gun. Since I have started shooting Blasers and Sauers, I have sold all my Remingtons and nearly all my Rugers. There is just no comparison.