HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   OK another opinion question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/222677-ok-another-opinion-question.html)

Javey 12-14-2007 06:08 PM

OK another opinion question

OK.......lookin for ya'lls opinion...on two guns
If you had the choice which would it be..
a Savage 111 in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 429.00
or
A Remington 700SPS in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 469.00

?????????.........I can't decide...???
Oh Ya....the Savage is a 22 inch barrel the Rem is a 24........The Savage actually has a nice blue job...the Rem is a teflon finish..both are systhetic stocks...neither comw with a scope....but I go that covered....the gun will be another for me and for my daughter to shoot also....

HELP...

Thanks

rgmill 12-14-2007 06:46 PM

RE: OK another opinion question

My vote = remington

oldelkhunter 12-14-2007 06:48 PM

A Remington 700SPS in 7mm08 with a detatchable mag for 469.00

?????????.........I can't decide...???
Oh Ya....the Savage is a 22 inch barrel the Rem is a 24........The Savage actually has a nice blue job...the Rem is a teflon finish..both are systhetic stocks...neither comw with a scope....but I go that covered....the gun will be another for me and for my daughter to shoot also....
Neither. BTW the Rem does not have a teflon finish..it is a bead blasted blue.

Purchase a SPS SS gun with a floorplate, the mag version is a royal PITA and if you ever decide to upgrade the gun and rebarrel it to another cartridge there will be problems with that DBM.

Retaks 12-14-2007 06:54 PM

I say the Remington.

BarnesX.308 12-14-2007 06:58 PM

Tough one without actually handling the two guns. I'd go with Savage for accuracy and Remington for fit/finish. It also depends on whether you're looking for velocity or easy handling. The 24" bbl might get you another 50 or so feet/seconds. The 22" will be easier to swing around in the thick stuff.

I'd say you can't go wrong with both, except for..............I hate detachable magazines. I don't like the way they feed and I don't like the stock having a removable chunk. Hinged floor plate all the way. I'd take a top loading magazine with no floor plate over a detachable magazine, actually.

Carpmaster 12-14-2007 07:44 PM

I think the savage for sure,they arent the prettiest but sure handle nice and drop the bullets in there!

Javey 12-14-2007 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies....either one of these will be my first witha DBM.....but so for you guys don't seem to happy with them...hhhmmmm....
I was looking at a Steyr Mountain which also had a DBM but we couldnt' get right on the price..another $100.00 and i could have a new one...plus it was missing some small things...stock spacers and swivels that come with all Steyr's
So i started looking down other trails.....got the itch....I'm sure ya'll know how that goes..!!!......just won't be happy untill its scratched..!!!

1SHOT_1KILL 12-14-2007 10:15 PM

Take the Savage, you won't regret it. Take the Savageand then take the $$ you save and apply it to a quality scope.TheSavage will more than likely shot better than the Remington, right out the box. The Accu-trigger is light years ahead of the standard Remington-Walker trigger. I have not had the opportunity to evaluate the new X-Mark trigger, but I would say that it would have really be something else,to come close to the Accu-Trigger.

DaveC 12-14-2007 10:49 PM

I'm tossing around the Weather Warrior vs.SPSSS as well.
I had my mind made up on the SPS Varmint, but nobody seems to have them & I guess Remington doesn't want to keep the shelves stocked.

I'll keep watching this thread, the no love for the DB magazine has raised my eye as well.

skeeter 7MM 12-14-2007 10:50 PM

Remington is my preference

As far as savage's go personally do not like:
-the tupperware stocks savage use, "flismy" is the best word I can think of.
- I do not like the feel of the Accutrigger.(have never had a problem getting a stock remington trigger to my liking in pull, creep and travel.)
- Tang safety

I will say they are accurate, good functioning rifles and their DM is pretty slick.

Best option is pick the one that feels the best to you.

G/L:)