Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scout rifles.. >

scout rifles..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scout rifles..

Old 12-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default scout rifles..

anyone own a "scout" style rifle setup with the scout scope and the whole 9???

share some pics, or what rifle do you have and what scope did you put on it??

just curious...i dont know what made me think about them the other day, but i did and think they would make a dandy PA deer rifle...if i ever buy a deer rifle its going to be a tough decision between a scout setup and a remington pump gun...

i think they would make for a supre quick pull up and shoot rifle...and would be a dream to carry around on drives or long hikes...and make hunting the thick woods just a bit easier...i know thats my gripe with the mauser...long, heavy, cumbersome..i would sold it years ago if i didnt know i can build anything i want on the action...and only paid 235 for the sporterized rifle that is a deer killin machine, so no sense gettin rid of it...an action will run me that alone..
Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 AM

Default RE: scout rifles..

I actually just purchased one! A Ruger Frontier in .308 with a Nikon forward mounted scope. Took it to the range yesterday and WOW, what a gun! Gun range is only 100 yrds but within 5 minutes i was on target with groups 1&1/2" and under. Just a couple flyers out to 2"s, probably due to barrel heat. Thinl i could have even dialed her in a bit tighter if time would have allowed. I then went on to the woods hoping to put the cross hairs on a hog or deer. didnt see anything but this gun is FAST on target with the scout setup! Its compact size with scout setup is now my FAVORITE!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM

You might want to look at some of the bolt action carbines on the market, such as the model 7 remington. Sweet rigs. I have a model 70 short action carbine in .308, very comparable to the model 7, I just love it. I have a 1.5 X 5 X 20 scope on mine, it is very quick on target. Ruger makes a comparable model also.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the info...i was actually looking at rugers..not sure who else makes a true scout rifle...but that ruger is a good lookin rifle...

hows the scope mount on that?? not flimsy or cheesy or anything?? if id ever put one together, its going to take a pounding...i cant have anything remotely cheesy or anything...what exzact scope did you put on if you dont mind me asking?? just curious what kind of eye relief they require...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

waiting for a gift....im kicking around the idea of a true scout rifle...forward mounted scope, barrel shorter than short, light, small, fast handling...and most importantly a solid, good shootin rifle that will take what i dish out...not abuse, but i think if i got around to putting one together, it would be my gun for the thick stuff, still hunting, driving, longggggg mountain hikes etc...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 PM

I have always been bias for Ruger but this gun is no slouch. It is exceptional on quality in my opinion. The scope mounts with theRuger mounting sytem if your familair with it. A mounting system other companies wish they developed lol. It is very sturdy and in my opinion, able to take the abuse (with in reason). It can also have a picatinny rail (included) for mounting all the cool tactical style equipment /red dot scope stuff offered forAr15's etc etc. IncludesRuger 1" scope rings too! I will post some pics when i get home tonight. I useda Nikon pistol scope 2x20 EER.This gun requires something in the 9"++ relief for scope. Somecompanies offer "scout" scopes such as Burris and Leupold. They are really nothing but pistol scopes.... Most pistol scopes will have this eye relief. The more power the scope, the longer it takes to get it on targetfast. It also depends on the type of distance your lookingat. Me here inFlorida, my average shot will be 100 yrds so the 2x20 fixed power is perfect.Rather than going to the original Styer Scout at big $$$, this is a sweet gun! FASSSST on target, light and super handy....just what it was designed for. Remember this is a short barreled rifle at 16 1/2", its no 400 yrd weapon but from what ive been told, its a capable 250 yrd gundue totechnoligy and design. Ill post some detailed pics for you.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Last winter I bought a 10/22 action, used a carbon/fiber brl coupled with a folding stock. It's all stainless with a Nikkon 2x7 pistol scope mounted forward and an attachement for my Surefire lights underneath...I LOVE IT! Best little truck gun there is, if I wanted another rifle (who doesn't?) I'd build it on a Rurger 44mag auto, same type of deal...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

anyone own a "scout" style rifle setup with the scout scope and the whole 9???

share some pics, or what rifle do you have and what scope did you put on it??

just curious...i dont know what made me think about them the other day, but i did and think they would make a dandy PA deer rifle...if i ever buy a deer rifle its going to be a tough decision between a scout setup and a remington pump gun...

i think they would make for a supre quick pull up and shoot rifle...and would be a dream to carry around on drives or long hikes...and make hunting the thick woods just a bit easier...i know thats my gripe with the mauser...long, heavy, cumbersome..i would sold it years ago if i didnt know i can build anything i want on the action...and only paid 235 for the sporterized rifle that is a deer killin machine, so no sense gettin rid of it...an action will run me that alone..
I put together a couple of "scout" types using an Argentine M1909and an M1924 Venezuelan Mauser. I found the forward mounted scope, far from being less cumbersome as Jeff Cooper claimed, to be a real PITA to handle. I "unbuilt" them very quickly.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a Steyr scout w/ the 2X Leupold. It was a different propsition entirely- a great handling gun!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM

This is a "new" concept to alot of people, this scout setup idea, although its been around for yrs. To me there is no faster way to get on target and get a shot off. This is the reason swat teams / military around the world have gone to such a setup. FAST TARGET Acquisition is the name of the game when your hunting shorter range and heavy cover. Try doing this with a standard rifle and a high powered scope. Example- yourdeeror whatever isin heavy cover, at close range and not sticking around for his picture to be taken.... try this- Go out and pick up your rifle, pick a target at 50-100 yrds..think of this target traveling at aSTEADY pace as if it was on a mission and its in heavy cover. Now see how fast you can get your "high" powered scope with short eye relief on that target and pull a shot while its moving, before it would disappear. Some can do it, some think they can do it and others better not think about it at all LOL... It will be accepted by some and not others. It takes practice. The beauty of this is you hunt with both eyes open, another adopted training method of law enforcement special teams. This allows you to see everything else while staying on your target. Also, something ive found out is you can take a scout rifle or any rifle for that matter, fling it around, pretend going thru the motions, you then can take the scope of choice, peek thru it pretending its on the gun.... but it doesnt all come together until you mate the two together...then its true beauty...my opinions though
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser - why not just a Rem Model 7 in 308 Win? Get it in a light weight synthetic with a 4X or 6X scope and you would want never more.

I know what you mean about all day hikes with a heavy rifle. I have an old Sako and a 300 Weatherby. Both are quite heavy. You would think I would get use to it but they get heavier every year . My 300 Wby is my every day gun for big game. I dreamed of owning her since I was about 8 years old. I finally pulled the trigger and bought oneat 30 yrs old and I'm not ready to end the honeymoon yet .

Quick Reply: scout rifles..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.