Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 Ammunition >

.270 Ammunition

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 Ammunition

Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default .270 Ammunition

I just purchased a REM 700 .270 win with a 3.5-10 Leupold. I am looking at factory ammo and deciding between two:

Federal Premium 140 gr Nosler Accubond or

Hornady 130 gr Inter Bond

Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .270 Ammunition

Buy a box of each and see which one shoot better in your gun far as group wise. Then use that load.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Try both, bonded bullets are a little tougher to match with a rifle. Good chance your gun might not shoot either very well. Toss up of which one to try first.

Find a friend that has a 270, buy up 4 or 5 brands of ammo. Split up the ammoand try them all. It sucks to spend $40 on a box of ammo that after 3 shots you know won't work in your gun, at least you can save a little money if you split with a friend.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 PM

yeah try them both if possible because one or both may work well in your rifle and they are both bonded bullets so your gonna get about the same performance out of both on an animal. Ive never shot either of these bonded bullets but i have shot the remington premier with the swift scirocco 130 gr out of my .270 and it worked quite well but they have a little more penetration than i like on whitetail, shot a deer in the chest with one and the bullet exited its back and the exit hole was not more than a half inch.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hobie11

yeah try them both if possible because one or both may work well in your rifle and they are both bonded bullets so your gonna get about the same performance out of both on an animal. Ive never shot either of these bonded bullets but i have shot the remington premier with the swift scirocco 130 gr out of my .270 and it worked quite well but they have a little more penetration than i like on whitetail, shot a deer in the chest with one and the bullet exited its back and the exit hole was not more than a half inch.
definitely try different ones out, each rifle is different and has a favorite ammo. I have done LOTS of reaearch on this caliber and factory cartridge options and would suggest you add 130 gr swift scirocco's (remington) to the list. they shoot flatter than the others. however, the 140 gr accubond still have a nicely flat trajectory and a little more energy than the scirocco's. I know energy isn't everything, but a bullet that has more energy and higher weight should have more knockdown power theoretically. I currently use the sciroccos, and like them, but when they run out i'm going to try out the accubonds. if they are as accurate or moreso, I'll try them and see what they do to the insides if I'm luck enough to get a shot.

as far as the quoted post about penetration...What was the internal damage like? if your's work like mine have, itentered, expanded quickly and was extremely violent inside, then tapered down after full expansion, leaving a less impressive exit wound.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 PM

I shoot the Hornady light magnum ammo out of mine and I like it.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the others the only way is to shoot them. If not wanting to buy both at first pick one.As a reloader, I have found Nosler Accubonds as a general rule more accurate and easier to get shooting. That said in my 7mm rem mag the IB shoots lights out and better then any load combos I have tried with AB's. Both have worked well on game.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my 270, nothing shot better or had better terminal performance than the 130 grain Federal Fusions for deer. For elk move up to the 150 Grain Fusion.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my 270, nothing shot better or had better terminal performance than the 130 grain Federal Fusions for deer. For elk move up to the 150 Grain Fusion.

I have shot fusions in three different cartridges and have 3 different rifles and have yet to find a box that did not shoot great. These have to be the most underrated cartridges and bullets out there.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ideaman

Try both, bonded bullets are a little tougher to match with a rifle. Good chance your gun might not shoot either very well. Toss up of which one to try first.

Find a friend that has a 270, buy up 4 or 5 brands of ammo. Split up the ammoand try them all. It sucks to spend $40 on a box of ammo that after 3 shots you know won't work in your gun, at least you can save a little money if you split with a friend.
Find a friend who has a .270, and who LOADS HIS OWN AMMO FOR IT!! Then recruit his assistance in working up a decent load for yours.

Quick Reply: .270 Ammunition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.