Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats the difference? >

whats the difference?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats the difference?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: whats the difference?

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

We would have had to track her just as far if she'd been hit in the same spot with a .460 Weatherby Magnum.
Now I wouldn't go that far. The 460 would probably leave a 10" exit wound with guts all over the forest floor. The hydrostatic shock from 8000ft/lbs delivered from a500gr expanding bulletat 2600-2700 would be enough to make that deer a little woozy. I'd buy your comparison if it were made with a 30-06. The 460 Wby is just too far of a jump.
460 may have been a bit of exaggeration, but, what you describe is exactly what happened. He hit her too low, basically unzipping her belly. You can imagine the rest.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy did that to a deer a few years ago. He grazed the bottom of the deer's belly with a Barnes X bullet out of a 308 Win. It made a nice slice and the deer was found lying with its guts outside of it's body. One of out hunters was a surgeon. He said that hypothermia lead to this deer's death. With the organs exposed to the December air and the body heat escaping from the open paunch, the deer's core temp dropped in record time and it went into shock very quickly.

I never thought you could kill a deer by hypothermia, but it makes perfect sense when you saw how the deer looked.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 AM

i will call you whatever the hell i want.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

FYI: Name calling is a rules violation on this site. If you want to call people names, go find a place where other fifth graders hang out.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM

if you want to settle this like men i will be glad to give you my address
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

James,
No need for the name calling. Let's try and keep it clean. There is a lot of great information that can be shared on here. Although some of the discussion has evolved off topic, whichcan happenespecially when talking about the effectiveness ofdifferent calibers,it is still a lot a information sharring that we can all learn from
Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seriously dude. Get a grip. You start off by calling me a name, and now you want to fight because I point out that it's a rule violation? Whatever...

DannyD... This has nothing to do with an argument over whether one caliber is better than another. Mr. Ward said the difference between the .222 and .223 was a thousandth of an inch. I responded that they were both .224, attaching a , to indicate that I was joking with him, as I figured he probably already knew, but, I didn't know whether the original poster might know this, so thought it was information that might be helpful to the original poster. Mr. Ward responded by calling me a dickhead...
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM

gingerbear said the same thing so jump their ass too
Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ips,
yeah. I caught that. and i agree with you. I was just saying that even though this topic was about 222 vs 223 wealso had discussion about243, 30-06, 416 which IMO may be off topic but is quite natural when discussing differences in calibers. That is what i was pointing out to young (i assume) James

Quick Reply: whats the difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.