HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rifle build,which caliber? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/222091-rifle-build-caliber.html)

CAJUNBOWHNTR 12-11-2007 08:26 AM

Rifle build,which caliber?

last year my oldest and best friends dad passed away.While going through his stuff he came across some older sako long actions NIBand kindly gave me one.So the question is which caliber to build a rifle on.His dad was one of the first people I knew who had a STW so that's the sentimental favorite.I've talked to a local gunsmith.it's gonna be a hart or shilen med contour barrell and mcmillian stock.

Thanks

jeepkid 12-11-2007 08:43 AM

RE: Rifle build,which caliber?

STW, just a pretty awesome round.

oldelkhunter 12-11-2007 08:48 AM

What is the Sako Model ?

CAJUNBOWHNTR 12-11-2007 09:12 AM

I'm at work soI can't put my hands on it but I believe it is a L691M.

CB

oldelkhunter 12-11-2007 09:36 AM

I'm at work soI can't put my hands on it but I believe it is a L691M.
That action should work. Only 2 I would considerwould be the 300 win or 7 STW. If your going to be shooting mostly deer I would go STW using 140 grain bullets..load up 160's for the bigger stuff. I would look at other barrel manufacturers as well.

jeepkid 12-11-2007 09:58 AM

I'd go with a Broughton 5c, Pac-Nor, or a Lilja.

Carpmaster 12-11-2007 10:28 AM

That STW is an impressive round! I would love to have an extra action right now!

1SHOT_1KILL 12-11-2007 11:09 AM

I would opt for the .300 Win Mag., if I wanted a good all around big game hunting rifle. If wanted something a little out oif the ordinary or different, I would consider the7mm STW. Yeah, the 7mm STW has it beat in speed and a tad better trajectory, but it's just awful hard to beat a good shooting .300 Win Mag for all around big game hunting. There is also more handloading/reloading options for the .300 Win Mag and not to mention the variety and availability of factory ammo.

BTW, You cannot and will not go wrong with a Hart barrel. It's is as good as any and better than most on the market. Don't let anybody tell you other wise.

Wolf killer 12-11-2007 11:52 AM

Seems only fitting to have a 7mmSTW built in his memory.

leben_sie_gut 12-11-2007 02:07 PM

I'd vote STW as well....I've never owned one, but I have had the oppurtunity to shoot one and I was impressed.

I believe the only reason I'd consider the .300 is ammunition availability, but it's hardly a problem if you're handloading.