HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington 742 Woodsmaster (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/221578-remington-742-woodsmaster.html)

jlsherr 12-08-2007 11:55 AM

Remington 742 Woodsmaster

Inherited one and wondering if it is worth sending to the gunsmith. It is a late 1960's model. I have not shot it yet, it is filthy, but in very good shape. Not a scratch on it. Is this rifle a hunter or just a keeper ?

RugerMike 12-08-2007 12:11 PM

RE: Remington 742 Woodsmaster

They are super nice brush guns use it and enjoy.

devil952k 12-08-2007 06:58 PM

its a Keeper and a hunter. No doubt a great gun. I own a 742 in .308 and a 7400 in .270. I picked the 742 at a gun show for a great deal. It was in great condition. the 7400 is going up for sale when I get around too. I was looking for a .308 w/ woodstock and could not find a 7400 in .308 w/ a wooden stock. So when I saw the 742 I jumped and hagled on the deal.

Give it a nice cleaning and you will be fine. The triggers are horrible on the Rems. but they are easily adjustable if you are daring and handy. They can also be sent out to get worked on.

enjoy the gun.

J

DM 12-09-2007 08:27 AM

I think between my dad and myself, we've had (4)742's in 30-06, including the one i have now. Of those (4), one that was bought used had jamming problems and went back to Rem. to be fixed. Asecond one wasn't the most accurate but still good enough for a deer rifle. Only that "one" was less accurate that i'd like, all the others were very good, shooting at least 1-1/2" groups at 100 yds...

The one that i now have is reliable and accurate and i don't think i'll ever sell it...

DM

eldeguello 12-09-2007 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jlsherr

Inherited one and wondering if it is worth sending to the gunsmith. It is a late 1960's model. I have not shot it yet, it is filthy, but in very good shape. Not a scratch on it. Is this rifle a hunter or just a keeper ?
Send it to the gunsmith?? What for? If it is all there, and in working condition, just strip it down and clean it up with a good bore solvent. I would certainly clean it up, and then take it to the range and shoot it with sevral different loads using 150-180 grain bullets to see how it performs. These rifles are generally NOT long range target guns, but they are plenty good enough for woods hunting of deer and larger game out to 250 or maybe even 300 yards, if you got an accurate one. Accuracy seems to vary a lot with the Remington semi-autos. But it's worth testing!

CAJUNBOWHNTR 12-09-2007 02:24 PM

I think in these parts more deer were kiled with 742's than marlin or winchester 30/30's.That's saying something;).They were however prone to jamming if not kept clean.

CB

Doe Dumper 12-09-2007 03:45 PM

The motto with the Remmy autos.. you better keep em CLEAN! Not somewhat clean but very clean..if you do that it will serve you very well! I sold my last one a couple of years ago but I think I will get another one of these days...just simply for the fact I killed my first several deer with it.