Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Costs of Protection >

Costs of Protection

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Costs of Protection

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Costs of Protection

hey whats money if your dead also i think if you were in the spot to defend yourself from a shooting if you went on TV and so on got it on the news you would properly get a phone call from the NRA wonting to donate one of there high price lawyers.

but the last thing i would think about is what will it cost me
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Check your state laws on victim compensation. If you shoot a burglar, you are a victim, not the burglar. Some states will comp you for expenses like civil litigation resulting from being a crime victim. Even if you don't have that, a lawyer is only marginally more expensive than a mortician, and you get to sign the check!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying that because of the costs don't arm/protect yourself. I'm just saying that no matter what side of the law you end up on you are going to pay through the nose."

This is wise counsel. But, actually, this depends to a great degree on the specific jurisdiction in which the event takes place. If your local judicial system is filled with milk-sop liberal judges and dominated by citizens of the same political bent who elect district attorneys of like mind, it is sure true enough!!

If, however, the local gentry are of the "castle" persuasion, who most likely would not vote to convict a person who has used reasonable force for what is a lawful act in that jurisdiction, local prosecutors are less likely to contemplate prosecuting that person. No DA wants to send a case to court that he knows is a loser beforehand!In this regard, it will be interesting to see what happens in the case of the shooter in Texas.

From what little I was able to gather about what happened (from the undoubtedly biased media!!) in that case, the reporterscertainly MADE IT SOUND like the "citizen" was the aggressor, and had made up his mind to KILL the two perps even before he made what seems a half-hearted attempt to apprehend them uninjured before opening fire! In addition, he personally does not appear to have been in much jeopardy himself before he went outside with his shotgun!

MOST jurisdictions will not countenance the use of deadly force to protect property, or to apprehend escaping felons if they are in fact fleeing the scene and not posing a threat while doing so. It used to be that way in Texas as well. Am I to understand that Texas has recently legalized the use of deadly force to protect property? How about to protect some other person's property?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NightFire
I have a friend in MI, came home after a graveyard shift, was hit in the head and left for dead. He woke up and heard his wife screaming, he took a knife from the kitchen and found the burgler holding a gun to his wife and raping her... He killed the rapist... He is serving a 25 year sentence for murder, his life was not directly threatened at the time and he stabbed the rapist in the back.

His wife left him after he was convicted.

WA has the most liberal self defense laws that I know of. I have heard OK is even more liberal, but have no personal experience with it.
that's a whole new degree of F'ed up right there
Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Come through the window, leave in a bag. I don't much concern myself with the consiquences of defending my family. If you break in my house your a threat, cause the two 100+ pound rots didn't dicourage you and would have to be dead. I love my Children more than freedom or money, so I would not gamble their health mental or physical hoping the persons breaking into my house or trying to carjack us won't hurt them.Men, Woman,Teenager an ethnic backgrounddoesn't matter, they will leave in a bag.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: NightFire

I have a friend in MI, came home after a graveyard shift, was hit in the head and left for dead. He woke up and heard his wife screaming, he took a knife from the kitchen and found the burgler holding a gun to his wife and raping her... He killed the rapist... He is serving a 25 year sentence for murder, his life was not directly threatened at the time and he stabbed the rapist in the back.

His wife left him after he was convicted.

Call me cynical, but this story doesn't jibe with me. First, he stabs the guy in the back while his wife was being "raped" and his wife shows her gratitude by dumping him? Sounds more like he came home early one day and surprised the back door man. I can't say I blame the guy, or that I would have done anything different. It just sounds like there's more to that story than you think.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

cost of protection 300 to 500 dollars for choice gun cost of ccp 100 bucks 10.00 of ammo surviving a robbery or something worst priceless. there is no cost to protecting yourself or family
Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

"Don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying that because of the costs don't arm/protect yourself. I'm just saying that no matter what side of the law you end up on you are going to pay through the nose."

This is wise counsel. But, actually, this depends to a great degree on the specific jurisdiction in which the event takes place. If your local judicial system is filled with milk-sop liberal judges and dominated by citizens of the same political bent who elect district attorneys of like mind, it is sure true enough!!

If, however, the local gentry are of the "castle" persuasion, who most likely would not vote to convict a person who has used reasonable force for what is a lawful act in that jurisdiction, local prosecutors are less likely to contemplate prosecuting that person. No DA wants to send a case to court that he knows is a loser beforehand!In this regard, it will be interesting to see what happens in the case of the shooter in Texas.

From what little I was able to gather about what happened (from the undoubtedly biased media!!) in that case, the reporterscertainly MADE IT SOUND like the "citizen" was the aggressor, and had made up his mind to KILL the two perps even before he made what seems a half-hearted attempt to apprehend them uninjured before opening fire! In addition, he personally does not appear to have been in much jeopardy himself before he went outside with his shotgun!

MOST jurisdictions will not countenance the use of deadly force to protect property, or to apprehend escaping felons if they are in fact fleeing the scene and not posing a threat while doing so. It used to be that way in Texas as well. Am I to understand that Texas has recently legalized the use of deadly force to protect property? How about to protect some other person's property?
It has always been legal in Texas to protect even property with lethal force if the crime was taking place 'under the cover of darkness.'

I have been away from Texas for the past 3 years so that may have changed but about 35 years ago a friend of mine was involved in just such an instance and the property owner was absolved of all guilt. Believe it or not, he was rattling a guy's trash cans at night, the guy shot him (didn't kill him) and was cleared.

Another friend was shot (didn't kill him either) while cutting a corner, crossing a guys yard at 1am. He didn't know that the guy had recently been the victim of a burglary and thought the burglar had returned.

Texas historically has protected homeowners and their property.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 PM

"Defense of property at night" is still alive and well in Texas. It may also apply to anyone you ask to watch your place for you, so it doesn't even have to be your property. Open carry has taken a beating there, but you can still get by with the "peaceable journey" exemption if you cross a county line.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

well if the bad guy is dead who is to say he was not armed he is dead he ant talkin

Quick Reply: Costs of Protection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.