HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning BAR -vs- Winchester SXR -vs- Remington 750 Model Woodsmaster. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/221285-browning-bar-vs-winchester-sxr-vs-remington-750-model-woodsmaster.html)

New York Hunter 12-06-2007 11:54 AM

Browning BAR -vs- Winchester SXR -vs- Remington 750 Model Woodsmaster.

I've been looking at semi auto hunting rifles lately. I love the look and feel of the Remington 750. I don't know if I'm sold on the 750's reliability. I know guys that love their 7400's and others that hated them. Is the 750 any better then the 7400? I'm also the kind of guy that strips my firearms down and keeps them clean.

I've never really heard a bad thing said about the Browning BAR. Everyone I know that's owned or shot the BAR liked them. Or at least liked and respected how they functioned.

The Winchester SXR appears to be made like the BAR from what I've seen. They cost a little less then the BAR as well, which is good!

All three of these rifles feel good to me. I have to be honest, I would probably be happy with any of the three as long as they functioned and shot well. As far as cartridges go, I'd go with a 308 Win., 30-06 Spr. or a 35 Whelen (rifle or carbine). Obviously the 35 Whelen is only available in the Remington.

Which of these rifles is "most likely" to be the most accurate? What type of groups are these rifles capable of shooting when you find ammo that they like?

I'll take all the information I can get. I'm not going to buy one right away. I'll use this rifle for deer, black bear and wild boar. Thanks.

oldelkhunter 12-06-2007 12:43 PM

RE: Browning BAR -vs- Winchester SXR -vs- Remington 750 Model Woodsmaster.

Browning BAR right now is the finest autoloader made. It has a beautifully rifled barrel ,steel receiver unless you get the lightweight version and a trouble free gas system. The trigger mechanism is metal.

Pros: Browing
[ol][*]Belgium workmanship[*]great gas sytem[*]extremely accurate[*]higher quality piece of wood for a stock[*]Spoke to a browning Master(?) dealer about 1 hour from my house and he told me he didn't think BAR's (steel) would be made much longer since they are expensive to produce. based on that and our falling dollar I could only imagine them getting more expensive NIB[/ol]
Cons: Browning

1. Certain models will be heavier then the SXR and the 750

Pros: Winchester SXR and Browning Short Trac

[ol][*]Light weight[/ol]
Cons: Winchester SXR

[ol][*]One rifling twist for a myriad of calibers[*] Barrel not same quality as a BAR[*] Cheap Wood[*] Alloy Receiver although the BAR lightweight has one as well[*] Polymer triggerguard assembly[/ol]

Pros: Remington 750
[ol][*] Improved gas system and stock[/ol]
Cons: Remington 750

[ol][*]Still has similiar parts to the old 740 one of the worst autoloaders on record[/ol]

Get the BAR life is too short

RugerMike 12-06-2007 12:50 PM

NewYorkHunter,
I sent you an e-mail [email protected]

funinmass01602 12-06-2007 01:44 PM

browning bars are junk. i owned one and my friend did. they jam jam jam, brownings are jamamatics always have been right from the auto fives. all japan junk. we bought the remington 750 this year have shot over 500 rounds and not one jam. go figure, BROWNING pay for the name, junk gun.

oldelkhunter 12-06-2007 02:01 PM

browning bars are junk. i owned one and my friend did. they jam jam jam, brownings are jamamatics always have been right from the auto fives. all japan junk. we bought the remington 750 this year have shot over 500 rounds and not one jam. go figure, BROWNING pay for the name, junk gun.
WOW I am impressed. but your full of ........... .When did they start making them in Japan? Thought so

Deleted User 12-06-2007 02:40 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Mr. Longbeard 12-06-2007 03:14 PM

Cant really coment on the Browning or the Win but I can tell ya about the 750... Mine shoots great!!! I've shot reloads and factoey ammo threw mine with out a jam... I've prob put about 100 rounds threw mine... As for groups... It shoots between 1"- 1.5" groups... It shoot these groups with what ever I shoot threw it... 165gr-220gr... RN,BT,NP doesent matter... It groups the same:)I'm happy with mine... I've killed 3 deer with mine... All 3 deer were over 150 yards, one being just under 200 yards... Definetly a bigwoods deer rifle;)

Now if your talking about bolt actions I like Browning... I'm a lefty

XPatriot 12-06-2007 03:54 PM

Granpa carried a BAR on D-Day, so I would go with it based on that alone. I've never fired the other two.

funinmass01602 12-06-2007 06:35 PM

Hello OLDELKHUNTER, I'm full of the truth, here is a little history on your japan bar, sorry man, only facts

Q.
Where are Browning firearms manufactured?

A.
Browning firearms have been traditionally made in locations world-wide. John M. Browning's first rifle, the Single Shot, was made in Ogden, Utah. The next guns carrying the Browning name were made in Belgium. This continued for many decades. This was the result of John M. Browning's lasting relationship with Fabrique Nationale, in Herstal, Belgium. Most Browning guns were made in Belgium by F.N. until the mid '70s when some production was shifted to Miroku in Japan. Today's Browning firearms are made in either Belgium, Portugal, Japan or in the United States. With some exceptions this is the breakout:
[hr]
Browning Firearm Manufacturers

Belgium
Superposed

Belgium (assembled in Portugal)
Gold 12 and 20 ga. shotguns, Hi-Power Pistol, FN Pistols, BAR Mark II Safari Rifle, and BPR Pump Rifle

Italy
The BDA 380 Autoloading pistol
Japan
Citori, Model 81, Light Weight and Lightning BLR, A-Bolt II, 1885, Auto-5, Recoiless, B-SS, BT-100, BT-99, BL-22 Rifle, Auto-22 Rifle, A-Bolt Shotgun, BPS (all), A-500 G & R, and Gold 10 ga., All single barrel trap guns

United States
Buck Mark Pistols and rifles, Pro-9, Pro-40 and the BDM Pistols

[hr]
The tradition of making Browning sporting firearms overseas was started with John M. Browning's Auto-5 semi-automatic shotgun design being produced by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. Production on many of the models made in Belgium shifted to Miroku in Japan in the mid-70's due to significant cost increases in Belgium.

We at Browning consider ourselves an worldwide company. We are proud of our tradition of producing the world's best firearms at the worlds best factories -- where ever they be.

Deleted User 12-06-2007 06:45 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]