Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on Poly-Choke? >

Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

I've searched the forums here, and on a couple other sites, but can't find any info on the adjustable Poly-Choke.

I just bought my first shotgun, a Remington Express 3" 12ga, and would like to get some feedback on this Poly-Choke before buying any other chokes for the gun.

Poly-Choke Website

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

I never was a big fan of poly chokes on older shotguns, mainly because I always thought they were an eye sore.

In theory I suppose they could be handy...i.e..you are duck hunting and the birds are not decoying just right and you need to take longer shots so you can tighten the choke a bit...or something like that.

So, I suppose if you do a lot of bird hunting on the wing then the polychoke could come in handy if you don't mind the big hunk of metal hanging out of your barrel...however on anything else that you shoot that is not on the wing I would say I would ratherhave aninterchangable choke. Just my opinion tho.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

They as good as they are ugly in the right situation. And they are plenty ugly!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Well, I've never been much for making things 'pretty'. As long as it's functional, reliable, and doesn't get in the way, I like it.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ugly
AND... it sure will not raise the value of the shotgun
Old 12-06-2007, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger

Ugly
AND... it sure will not raise the value of the shotgun
The screw-in type would be completely removable, so it'll neither raise the value, nor lower the value.

I'm not really concerned about the 'market-value' of my shotgun, either. I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon. I haven't even picked it up yet - I'm still in the CA 10-day waiting period.

Basically, ugliness aside, does the Poly-Choke work like they say it does, and is it well-made?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure.

Pick one up and tell us what you think
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: speyrjb

Not sure.

Pick one up and tell us what you think
I can't be just throwing money at stuff I'm not sure of. I'm just getting started in hunting, and I've had not one hand-me-down. I've dumped a whole bunch of money over the past year on this 'hobby' - buying a rifle, scope, shotgun, calls, camo, ammo, accessories like slings & gear bags, license, gun vise & cleaning kit, and I haven't even picked up a decent set of binoculars, boots, decoys, and who knows what else. And i'm starting to hear it from my wife. I have to make sure I have some money left over for some flowers and jewelry. I don't think she would appreciate me buying her a .22...come to think of it, that adds another thing to my wish-list. Oh, and I don't have a 4x4, either.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM

I personally do not have one, but everything I have read from people that use them is positive. They work as they are supposed to and throw very good patterns. Wish Cabelas sold the one without the vents. I think it is less, less attractive.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

I personally do not have one, but everything I have read from people that use them is positive. They work as they are supposed to and throw very good patterns. Wish Cabelas sold the one without the vents. I think it is less, less attractive.
Same price as cabelas when you buy directly from the manufacturer:
http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Poly-Choke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.