Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 regular barrel vs. stainless >

regular barrel vs. stainless

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

regular barrel vs. stainless

Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Default RE: regular barrel vs. stainless

Stainless looks incredible!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM

In target rifles, the stainless barrels usually outlast the blued ones. Most stainless is more heat resistant than chrome-moly, so they'll hold up a bit better. Even if you're only talking deer rifle, I like the fact the stainless is more rust resistant.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't like Stainless barrels at all. It may be in my head but most of the guns that I have owned that were not real accurate, were Stainless. I am talking mostly about handguns and I don't think there is anything scientific in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM

so if i did get a stainless, would i have to camouflage it?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the stainless and if you can spend the money go with the 700xcr model that is stainless with the Tri-Nyte coating. I bought the 700xcr in 270wsm and it is a dull finish and is tough as nails. Plus I like the inserts in the stock adds grip when weather gets slippery. My gun is real accurate.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

so if i did get a stainless, would i have to camouflage it?
All of my hunting rifles are bead blasted stainless,and it has never been an issue whether hunting elk,bighorn,mountain goats,deer,or pronghorn.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM

what exactly is bead blasted stainless? is that a special stainless, or just normal?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Bead blast is a mild version of sandblasting that makes a slightly dimpled surface that does not reflect light very well, kind of like a matte paint.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Blasted finishes can take on many different appearances depending on the media and how deeply they are hit.
A good bead blasted finish actually looks grey from any distance at all. All my competition guns have a blasted finish to cut glare. They actually wear very well and don't show marks at all. Also, if you want it refinished all you have to do is take it down, tape it up and reblast it. Maybe a half hour to an hours work. Much less work than refinishing a blued barrel.
I have one gun in my safe, besides shotguns, that is non-stainless, and it is parkerized. In my book, stainless all the way and if "glare" is an issue, blast it or coat it.
Hank

Quick Reply: regular barrel vs. stainless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.