Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 homeprotection >

homeprotection

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

homeprotection

Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RE: home protection

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: skin290

You DO NOT want to just plan to "dissuade" your attacker/invader...you cannot reliably think they will react the same way you think you would under the same circumstances.

I would also like to add that I think any reliable double action revolver in 38 SPL +P and larger would be a good HD weapon as well.
If you live alone there's no problem using Revolvers and Slugs, but if you have family in every roomof the house, you take the chance of one of them Projectiles penetrating Walls and killing one of your family members. Maybe that's your uncommon Logic[8D] of who or what you Kill, but most of the members on this board do have more common sense.Are you 15 yet?????[:@]
If something can penetrate the human body 8-12" (which is what you NEED if you want to have a reliable chance of killing/incapacitating an attacker), it is most certainly capable of going thru a few walls, don't you think?

I weigh have a reliable option to eliminate the threat over the "chance" that the round will penetrate a wall and then fatally kill a member of my family. Worst case scenario, if you don't eliminate the threat, you may have just as well killed your family, because the intruder will do it for you.

If he has a gun, and you shoot him with birdshot, hurting him some, but not incapacitating him, and he gets off a round to kill YOU, what do you think the criminal will do to your family? Some of you are so damn scared of your guns, I hope you keep all of them locked up and unloaded all the time, and only get them out of the safe to put them in a case for the ride to the range...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Default RE: homeprotection

ORIGINAL: 1SHOT_1KILL

Most home confrontation shootings are in the range 14-21 FEET people, I'll say it again 14-21 FEET!!!!!!! Just how much damn firepower do you really thinnk you need at that range?????? Even a 12ga 2-3/4" # 6 dove load is going torender instantincapacitation and death with a torso hit, at that range. It will do so, without endagering your children and neighbors. So to say that bird shot and turkey loads are not a viable home defense load is BS.
What research have you done to prove this, because there are many anecdotes of people getting shot up close with birdshot and walking to the ambulance to get checked out at the hospital. Or is this just what you THINK will happen?

I would also like to state that the racking of the slide on a pump shotgun in itself can be a deterent. In the span of 14-21 FEET, only someone with a death wish will go up against a shotgun while armed with a handgun, unless they were professionally and expertly trained in CQC handgunning. Your average crackhead criminal will not be.
You are now assuming a crackhead or guy hopped up on meth thinks rationally, are you serious here? Within 21 feet is considered "danger close" for someone, even with a knife to be able to get to you before you get a shot off...you will not be able to dictate the terms of this engagement.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are now assuming a crackhead or guy hopped up on meth thinks rationally, are you serious here? Within 21 feet is considered "danger close" for someone, even with a knife to be able to get to you before you get a shot off...you will not be able to dictate the terms of this engagement
Where I live NC I am applying for my CCW and they better be real close to be a threat or the prosecutor will think otherwise. I mean you have to be in imminent danger.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: speyrjb

The the ranges you are dealing with inside your home, a turkey load would jerk the spine out of the intruder and deposit it on the nearest wall!

I use an old mosberg 12g with 18" barrell and super full choke with turkey loads myself. If you say that won't penetrate or incapacitate then I say you are smoking something.

I shot a hog with a turkey load at about 30 feet one time in the head and it blew his head open! If it will do that to a hog then it definately will to a soft human!
Do you still think a 12 guage will blow a person of their feet if shot with one, like the movies show you?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

You are now assuming a crackhead or guy hopped up on meth thinks rationally, are you serious here? Within 21 feet is considered "danger close" for someone, even with a knife to be able to get to you before you get a shot off...you will not be able to dictate the terms of this engagement
Where I live NC I am applying for my CCW and they better be real close to be a threat or the prosecutor will think otherwise. I mean you have to be in imminent danger.
You might want to check and see what the law supports as "imminent danger" -- I have always heard within 21 feet is considered such, but it would surely make a difference whether you did it in TX compared to IL, so it may vary in your state...

Good to see you are getting a CCW, I will probably never be able to do such in the communist state of IL...
Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

I consider my handguns as what I would use to defend myself on my way to my long guns.
Well, in a perfect world we'd all have time to choose which gun we'd want to defend ourselves with. Most likely, a home invasion is going to end very quickly. It depends on whether you are faster on the trigger as to who will actually end it. Running to a weapon, fumbling with a slide, fumbling to turn on a light switch or even hesitating to open a door can dewtermine who'll live and who'll die during the home invasion.

Be quick, decisive and most importantly: Shoot to kill.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM

You could go with an 18" pump loaded with turkey shot, plenty of damage on close quarters without excessive risk of hurting someone in another room. It's what I leave my wife loaded with when I'm away. The first two shells I put in are 00 buck, then the turkey loads. That way, if she's in enough trouble to shoot more than 4 times, the last two can definitely close the deal.

When I'm home, I use a Glock 26 loaded with golden sabers. It's on my belt during waking hours and in a level 4 holster mounted to the back of my nightstand at night. I like the handiness of the pistol, but the shotgun is more effective.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skin290
You might want to check and see what the law supports as "imminent danger" -- I have always heard within 21 feet is considered such, but it would surely make a difference whether you did it in TX compared to IL, so it may vary in your state...

Good to see you are getting a CCW, I will probably never be able to do such in the communist state of IL...
You can't measure "immenent danger" in feet. Whether a person pulls a knife from 10 feet away or a person pulls a rifle fromthe other side of your yard, you're still going to feel that your life is being threatened. And there's no jury in the country that can say that your life wasn't threatened, if indeed it was.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Since someone brought up the legalese of defending yourself in your own home, you could invest in an old, non-functioning pistol. Just make sure you get it at an estate sale or from an individual(pay cash), so there's no ATF records. Take it home, clean it wearing gloves, load it(wipe prints off rounds), bag it and put it away. If you "need" it later it will be available.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

Since someone brought up the legalese of defending yourself in your own home, you could invest in an old, non-functioning pistol. Just make sure you get it at an estate sale or from an individual(pay cash), so there's no ATF records. Take it home, clean it wearing gloves, load it(wipe prints off rounds), bag it and put it away. If you "need" it later it will be available.
And don't forget to wear your underwear backwards so your cellmate won't have to work as hard getin' his fix for the night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.