Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 homeprotection >

homeprotection

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

homeprotection

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: homeprotection

Can't believe some of the stuff you hear on here...

1. Birdshot does not reliably penetrate (humans) enough to incapacitate/kill.
2. If anything, 9MM will penetrate MORE than .45 ACP (smaller bullet/higher velocity).
3. Even though it would be "stupid" to come any further if you hear a shotgun slide-racking sound, do you think your common criminal is a criminal because he could have been a brain surgeon?

For a handgun, any 9MM, 40, or 45 ACP will work (for autoloaders) as long as you are shooting quality hollowpoint ammunition.

For a shotgun, use slugs or buckshot, not birdshot or turkey loads, and try to not make it where you have to "rack the slide" unless you like to give bad guys the advantage by telling them where you are and informing them that you are armed, so they know to come in shooting...
Man this is a great post and full of uncommon common sense
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

2. If anything, 9MM will penetrate MORE than .45 ACP (smaller bullet/higher velocity).
3. Even though it would be "stupid" to come any further if you hear a shotgun slide-racking sound, do you think your common criminal is a criminal because he could have been a brain surgeon?

For a handgun, any 9MM, 40, or 45 ACP will work (for autoloaders) as long as you are shooting quality hollowpoint ammunition.

For a shotgun, use slugs or buckshot, not birdshot or turkey loads, and try to not make it where you have to "rack the slide" unless you like to give bad guys the advantage by telling them where you are and informing them that you are armed, so they know to come in shooting...
Man this is a great post and full of uncommon common sense
Thanks, I have even seen a test of the Judge where the .410 shotshell didn't even penetrate through the second side of a liter soda bottle full of water...this birdshot stuff is nonsense when you need to have central nervous system hits...

You DO NOT want to just plan to "dissuade" your attacker/invader...you cannot reliably think they will react the same way you think you would under the same circumstances.

I would also like to add that I think any reliable double action revolver in 38 SPL +P and larger would be a good HD weapon as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: home protection

ORIGINAL: skin290

You DO NOT want to just plan to "dissuade" your attacker/invader...you cannot reliably think they will react the same way you think you would under the same circumstances.

I would also like to add that I think any reliable double action revolver in 38 SPL +P and larger would be a good HD weapon as well.
If you live alone there's no problem using Revolvers and Slugs, but if you have family in every roomof the house, you take the chance of one of them Projectiles penetrating Walls and killing one of your family members. Maybe that's your uncommon Logic[8D] of who or what you Kill, but most of the members on this board do have more common sense.Are you 15 yet?????[:@]
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skin290

Slugs as a home defense round????????????? You've got to be kidding me. Do you want to kill everyone one the house, hellthe neighborhood for that matter. Any of you sexual intellectuals ever hear of over penetration??????????? The last thing you want in a home defense load is one that is going to go thru 6 walls, even after going thru the perp. What about your children in the next room or down the hall? What about your neighbors next door or across the street???

Listen folks, if you have children in your home, if you live in an apartment, condo, townhouse, etc, or have houses in close proximatey, then the last you need or want to do, is to be blasting away with 12ga slugs or 3.5" 00 buckshot, 44 Mags, AR-15's, AK47's etc.In doing so you areputtingeveryone within 100m in danger.

If you call that common sense, then I'll wear "stupid" as a badge of honor.

Most home confrontation shootings are in the range 14-21 FEET people, I'll say it again 14-21 FEET!!!!!!! Just how much damn firepower do you really thinnk you need at that range?????? Even a 12ga 2-3/4" # 6 dove load is going torender instantincapacitation and death with a torso hit, at that range. It will do so, without endagering your children and neighbors. So to say that bird shot and turkey loads are not a viable home defense load is BS.

I would also like to state that the racking of the slide on a pump shotgun in itself can be a deterent. In the span of 14-21 FEET, only someone with a death wish will go up against a shotgun while armed with a handgun, unless they were professionally and expertly trained in CQC handgunning. Your average crackhead criminal will not be.

Bottom line is IMO, the best home defense weapon and load is a 12ga shotgun, 18" cyliner bore, loaded with 2-3/4" #4 buck or a reduced load/ low recoil 00 buck, I owould even consider #2 or BB shot.

If I had to have a handgun as a last ditch backup gun, it would be either a 40S&W or 45ACP load with Glaser safety slugs or some kind of lightweight hollowpoint bullet.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

A hammerless revolver such as a .38 will do just fine. Chances are our wives will forget how to operate a pump shotgun or will forget to chamber a round if she's using a semi-auto pistol. A hammerless pistol is all that's needed. Just point and pull the trigger.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

depends on you layout of you house mine is open with large doorways and short hallways which i have only two
if i had both and there was one intruder i would go with a pistol with NATO approved hollow points no reloads factory only .

if there were more then one person i would go with a 12 gauge with turkey loades.

but why not both have a pistol on a shoulder holster that you can just throw on. and a 12 gauge

or a ar15 only worry there is it going through a few walls but if you buy some defense ammo that will not go far after entering the body

remember most swat teams use ars when they go into a house
Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

I consider my handguns as what I would use to defend myself on my way to my long guns.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Listen folks, if you have children in your home, if you live in an apartment, condo, townhouse, etc, or have houses in close proximatey, then the last you need or want to do, is to be blasting away with 12ga slugs or 3.5" 00 buckshot, 44 Mags, AR-15's, AK47's etc.In doing so you areputtingeveryone within 100m in danger.
The guy mentioned buckshot not the size of buckshot..it would be common sense to use a 4 or 2 buck shell..hornady tap ammo comes to mind..
Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

The the ranges you are dealing with inside your home, a turkey load would jerk the spine out of the intruder and deposit it on the nearest wall!

I use an old mosberg 12g with 18" barrell and super full choke with turkey loads myself. If you say that won't penetrate or incapacitate then I say you are smoking something.

I shot a hog with a turkey load at about 30 feet one time in the head and it blew his head open! If it will do that to a hog then it definately will to a soft human!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with a shotgun. I have a Pardner Protector in 12 ga. I have 2 3/4 00 buck ready to roll at any time.
[/align][/align]
Using slugs is a very bad idea, and even using a handgun make my cringe if there are other people living in the house. Bird shot is no good. If you go here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=34639cec2211c0baecfb04b2 90a91db1
[/align]You will find all you need to know about HD/Tactical Shotguns. If you look at one of the stickies, you will see an entire thread on wound profiles, and as you will see birdshot doesn't measure up, especially if it is some wangster hopped up on meth.
[/align]
[/align]I got my shotgun for $160 brand new, and am slowly adding to it. Shoots just as well as the other.
[/align]
[/align]Whatever you decide to use for home defense just remember 3 things:
[/align]
[/align]1. Practice
[/align]2. Practice
[/align]3. and more practice
[/align]
[/align]And make sure that you wife or significant other knows how to shoot it as well. I made my wife go to the range with me and learn how to use it.
[/align]
[/align]I had someone try and break in my house about a month ago, and realized that when the adrenaline starts flowing, you start fumbling. It made me realize that I needed to practice more, since then I have put almost 40 hrs in at the range and hundreds of shells.
[/align]
[/align]Good luck
[/align]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.